Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

PM

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
ooby

Re: PM

Postby ooby » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:27 am

So do i. I miss a lot of the old posters. I check posts from time to time but it's like coming back to your home town to find it's drastically changed.

Troppus

Postby Troppus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:36 am

Yeah this would be a good idea

ooby

Postby ooby » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:27 am

I am sure most posters here are good but there are so many new names(if not necessarily frequent posters) that i feel like an outsider now :( Whereas i was already seated metaphorically speaking now i feel like i'm entering a room with a lot of strange faces already sitting down.

GrannyV

Postby GrannyV » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi Ooby

I am sorry that you feel alienated. It must feel a bit like when you are new and put your first post on. Things keep moving on I guess and more and more people seem to be suffering from mental health difficulties.

Please try and once again feel comfy here. I for one never knew what it was like with the PM but can see how it could be a great help. There never seems to be any input from the moderators. In fact I thought that AndreR was a moderator but I am not sure?

ooby

Postby ooby » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:15 pm

On some forums the moderators join in threads and try and stimulate conversation. The moderation
here has always been fairly poor, with lack of action when action should have been taken and vice versa.
The effects of poor moderation, and poor decision making re things like PMs , have gradually reduced the quality of the forum as a vehicle for support.

GrannyV

Postby GrannyV » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 pm

I unable to comment on that because as I said I am fairly new to it all. I was just grateful to have found it and have nothing else to compare it with.

AndreR

Postby AndreR » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi all, not posted for a while, been away on other activities.

SANE I believe requires at least some form of ‘moderator(s) presence’ in order for members to feel comfortable knowing that they can raise any concerns that may have about SANE and on occasions expect that the moderator(s) could show a presence by occasionally contributing on posts as a way of interacting with members.

The nature of a forum may determine the kind of activity from the moderator, for example SANE in my view is a place where anyone suffering with any form of mental health may come to seek emotional support, to be listened too, to experience a feeling of being wanted, accepted, appreciated and comforted. To feel genuinely accepted into a welcoming non judgmental community. Above all to want to feel understood and to know that they are not alone in the suffering they experience.

Knowing others have gone through or are going through similar symptoms may bring a somewhat sigh of relief, to at least relax slightly knowing you are not alone and by talking may help in many unforeseen ways.

A place where members can feel comfort in remaining anonymous, to learn to find the courage to be themselves or on a journey to rediscover or rebuild themselves. To be able to say what you want to say, to release all that has been locked away possibly for so many years could be expressed in the SANE form.

Being an emotional support forum the sharing of members experiences and understanding as a community can often be the best way for this kind of forum to flourish. yet I feel would benefit the need of a moderator(s) presence, yet could not rule out the moderators presence could be a ‘comforting presence’ also!

It is important to note that a moderator however would not be able to give advice.
I hope SANE may read this view and may consider reviewing the availability of a moderators presence?.

The PM in my opinion can be a vital channel of communication, SANE may have their reasons for removing the PM option, yet I am not aware of any other forum without the PM option? Without the PM option SANE may experience a drop in reputation and reviews as a place to seek support? as well as the possibility of losing members most in need of a place of safety and to seek the emotional support hoped for.

Long term SANE Members seem to mention SANE was active at one time compared to today, I wonder what changed?

Maybe it was the :? death of the PM?? :|

Take care

Andre
Do it...Afraid.

GrannyV

Postby GrannyV » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:30 pm

I think it says quite a lot about the moderators if I have not discovered who they are or what they do in the 3 months since I joined.

It does not in my eyes lesson the help that fellow sufferers can do to get each other through tough times. However, why would they stop what would appear to be an invaluable personal messaging facility without any explanation or reason. I am truly at a loss as to why they would do such a thing which appears to have helped so many in the past and also alienated the very users who relied on it.

Does anyone know how to contact moderators?? Or do they just leave the forum to moderate itself with minimum input. Whatever is the answer I would still encourage the people that matter, the sufferers and the suffered, to continue to help each other. It does seem a shame that nobody from sane appears to join in the forum.

AndreR I think that you are an amazing ambassador and empathetic helper. I genuinely thought you were the only person from SANE who actually read and replied to people on hear in need.

Thank you for all your help an advice

Granny V x x x x

AndreR

Postby AndreR » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:31 pm

GrannyV wrote:Do they just leave the forum to moderate itself. I would still encourage the sufferers and the suffered, to continue to help each other.

Hi GrannyV

Thank you for your kind words, I can see your thinking behind this, I tend to genuinely always give without considering any expectations of return, if someone does say something nice I am often surprised and not expected. :oops:

I believe your comment above could be the closest explanation to how SANE may expect the forum to run! To moderate itself!.

As well as your comment encouraging members to continue to help each other, I feel could also be the goal that SANE hopes the forum to work as! On this comment I do see some benefit in this if this is the case. Members suffering and suffered could be one of the way's for others to seek the support they need. So also agree with you on this.

In light of what you had expressed above, I feel the exclusion of the PM option could be a way of SANE saying 'In order to receive the help or support you need, take it on the open forum where others may offer support than PMing one person' or could it be 'SANE are not aware of what is discussed in the PM underworld!, keeping discussions on the open forum allows SANE to monitor everything that isn't hidden'? Of course everyone this a thought and should not be taken as correct as I cannot speak for SANE and their real reasons. Its just a theory to all our continuous questions and thinking.

Yet I still feel the PM is always an important way of communicating to those who need it.

But I feel GannyV is correct, for members to support each other as we can, even if it s just a 'how are you feeling today' lets another member know that 'someone is thinking about them'. Don't let the absence of the PM dampen our spirits and affects supporting those in need as well as each other.

There is a lot of new members coming in SANE, yet a lot of these posts may not get answers. I wondered why this was? Yet there could be many reasons a well as trigger actions.

One of the contributory factors in joining the forum was because I was surprised of the amount of people seeking help and that mental health is increasing within society.

As a person who had experienced physical and verbal abuse by emotionally absent parents in childhood and today being an experienced existential therapist, general counselor, volunteer counselor and trainer for 2 well known emotional support charities regarding suicide and child abuse and protection.

I felt maybe I could offer some time offering support when I can.

A always take care

Andre
Do it...Afraid.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”