Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

To lavender or not to lavender

Being outdoors...
samwamm

To lavender or not to lavender

Postby samwamm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:59 pm

I love lavender bushes and so do all the bees. 8-)

-but i hate lavender scented things. :x

real lavender smell, really nice. :D

lavender scented things makes my faces contort and my nose itch. :cry:

i think i have an allergy to lavender scent but not real lavender. :|

just what do they put in those chemicals? :?

betterinrecovery

Re: To lavender or not to lavender

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Dear Samwamm, I do like what you said and I would like to reply,

I dry the lavender from the plant in the garden (I just have the one), then I put it in little muslin bags... it is a lovely and relaxing thing to do.

Funnily enough, I found some little bags in a craft shop, I think they were intended for wedding favours - they work well as lavender bags.

I buy pure lavender oil from the chemist - a few drops can perk up older lavender bags.

I don't know what the synthesised lavender scent actually is, it doesn't bare much relationship to the real thing.

B

pmcp80

Postby pmcp80 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Yeah, I don't know what they do in order to create a "synthetic lavender smell", but it's closer to generic toilet air freshener than to actual lavender.
Speaking of this, can it grow in a dry, acidic soil? I know it can grow under the climate that is present where I'll grow it (due to an inheritance, my wife and I may get one of these houses in Greece), but I was worried about the nature of the soil itself.
But if it can grow, then, I won't have to endure synthetic lavender again!

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi there!
from what I understand, Greece has an excellent climate for Lavender as do most Mediterranean climes. I am not sure about the acidity of the soil though. As you probably know from here, Lavender and Rosemary do not need a great deal of watering - over watering tends to kill them off
( my experience :roll: )
My dream would be to visit the lavender fields of Southern France or Kent.
Regards B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:26 am

More on the lavender...
I do have one lavender bush at the front of my home. I got three arm fulls of lavender that I then hung up and dried.
I have separated the lavender from the stalks, added a few drops of lavender oil and it is ready to go into net bags that I purchased in the local craft shop ( I could of course make my own bags and I have done this in the past).
Then to give as presents.
I wish I had more lavender bushes, but the garden tends to get quite water logged and the lavender roots are not fond of that. Terracotta pots are the way forward :)
Best Wishes
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:06 am

More on Lavender,
I used to be able to purchase good quality lavender oil at Asda Pharmacy for £3.00 a 10ml bottle. This does not seem to be available anymore, so next stop is Boots, a bit more expensive but they do a 'buy two get one free' deal.
Lavender aids relaxation, it is also hand for repelling moth (lavender bags) and can help minor burns heal. I dab it on insect bites and stings too.
I always have some in my first aid kit.
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Yardleys, lavender eau de toilette spray is quite acceptable too, I think, perhaps a little old fashioned, but I think it is nice. As, is the soap and hand cream.
With all the hand washing we will be doing (all over the world) this is a bit of a treat! :)
B

Return to “The Garden”