Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hello: What do duty team do?

If you're new and want to say hello...
pinkla

Hello: What do duty team do?

Postby pinkla » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Hello, I'm new here. Iv have mental health stuff going on for years, a battle to get help and support, currently waiting on yet another referral to go through. But Iv been told if i need to i can call the 'duty team'.

I find making phone calls really difficult and that is not helped by not knowing what to expect. So, is anyone able to give an idea of what a duty team does, what could i expect, eg im feeling quite bad at the moment, do i just ring up and say that? or do i ask to speak to some one? TIA

piggy

Re: Hello: What do duty team do?

Postby piggy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:43 pm

I could be wrong so can someone correct me if I am duty team tends to be crisis team or in some places hospital liason team if you go to casualty or some other number you can call while waiting for your referee usually at same place you've been referred to social services has duty teams also they generally help in a crisis give advice especially after hours and can assess you at home to see if you need to be in hospital don't be alarmed by that you are only put in hospital if your life is at risk you can be treated at home could your gp contact them or family if you need it have you been given a number

pinkla

Postby pinkla » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 pm

piggy wrote:I could be wrong so can someone correct me if I am duty team tends to be crisis team or in some places hospital liason team if you go to casualty or some other number you can call while waiting for your referee usually at same place you've been referred to social services has duty teams also they generally help in a crisis give advice especially after hours and can assess you at home to see if you need to be in hospital don't be alarmed by that you are only put in hospital if your life is at risk you can be treated at home could your gp contact them or family if you need it have you been given a number
Thank you for replying to me, that is really helpful.

eeyore wrote:Hello. If you are not sure of the reply from piggy because they don't seem sure if they are right or not please Google what do the duty team do or contact your local gp.
Thank you, I tried google, can't always get a good impression from there though.

pomegranate

Postby pomegranate » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:05 am

Piggy is right in their description. Duty worker/duty team can be within teams with lots of different names (home based treatment, crisis team, a+e liaison etc) which is super confusing. But they all work under the basic premise of being there in times of crisis, and when your regular team isn’t available (ie your care coordinator will probably work 9-5), or you’re awaiting a referral to a team.
Their role is to be a point of contact, to offer support and advice, to jointly come up with a safety plan to keep you safe, and help people to remain at home, rather than hospital admission. Some teams also help on discharge from hospital.
Some teams have a mobile that people can text for support, as do Some charities, as they recognise it can be incredibly hard to speak when you’re in such a bad place. I’ve rung up my crisis team before now and not said a word, just cried down the phone until I could speak. Believe me there is not much they haven’t come across :lol: same with Samaritans :oops: :P they’re great if you just s\need someone to listen
Hope you’ve been supported since you 1st posted this xoxo

pinkla

Postby pinkla » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:02 pm

pomegranate wrote:Piggy is right in their description. Duty worker/duty team can be within teams with lots of different names (home based treatment, crisis team, a+e liaison etc) which is super confusing. But they all work under the basic premise of being there in times of crisis, and when your regular team isn’t available (ie your care coordinator will probably work 9-5), or you’re awaiting a referral to a team.
Their role is to be a point of contact, to offer support and advice, to jointly come up with a safety plan to keep you safe, and help people to remain at home, rather than hospital admission. Some teams also help on discharge from hospital.
Some teams have a mobile that people can text for support, as do Some charities, as they recognise it can be incredibly hard to speak when you’re in such a bad place. I’ve rung up my crisis team before now and not said a word, just cried down the phone until I could speak. Believe me there is not much they haven’t come across :lol: same with Samaritans :oops: :P they’re great if you just s\need someone to listen
Hope you’ve been supported since you 1st posted this xoxo

Hi, Thank you for your reply. Iv not managed to call yet. I just don't want to waste their time.

Return to “Newbies Room”