Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Can I live without antidepressants?

If you're new and want to say hello...
kayzee

Can I live without antidepressants?

Postby kayzee » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I am new to the forum. I am attempting, once again, to live without antidepressants. I have taken them since 1993 for the majority of time. I am sick of getting fat. I am determined to get through this. I stopped about 2 months ago and i still have brain zaps once in a while.

My biggest problem so far is not depression, but weird anxiety. I have the coping skills of a 5 year old with the flu. If I can't find my favorite coffee cup I'm almost in tears. If I make a mistake (forget to buy something at the store) I berate myself and feel stupid and horrible for hours. I worry about crazy things and I wake up with a leaden "despair" in my stomach. I know it's not REAL and I tell myself it's misplaced chemistry or something.

But I want to live without antidepressants and live WELL so I am trying to figure out if it can be done. Maybe my brain is just damaged and I can't function without the darn medication. Anyway - here I am. I am in my 60's and retired.

supersonic

Re: live without antidepressants?

Postby supersonic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:32 pm

hi kayzee i have found some mood stabilisers can act as an antidepresant.This is without side effects

hyster

Re: Can I live without antidepressants?

Postby hyster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:17 pm

the best person to ask is ur doc or therapist, they will know the medication and u way better than we will

rsxo

Re: Can I live without antidepressants?

Postby rsxo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 am

Hey :)

Medication (combined with therapy and personal action) is the best course to recovery in general, but if you don't feel like your current medication is helping, you can talk to your GP about switching to a different type. Of course, being able to recover without them would be ideal (no side effects etc), but there's a reason that it's a key part of recovery. I'd discuss with your GP about this - they are best placed to advise :)

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Newbies Room”