Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

People say it is OK to ask for help, but what if you have nobody to ask?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
rebde12

People say it is OK to ask for help, but what if you have nobody to ask?

Postby rebde12 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Hey,

For the past 12 months I have been experiencing delusions and hallucinations. When I mentioned it to my best friend, she told me to stop being stupid and ignore it. The truth is, I can't ignore it, no matter how much I have tried. I am in constant fight with my mind and trying to keep up the appearance of being 'normal'. I am at the stage now where I can no longer keep things together, people around me are starting to notice a change in my presence and behaviour.

My question is..
How am I supposed to expect anyone to understand what I am going through and help me through if I don't understand it myself?

I feel like I have nobody in my life I can trust 100% and who wouldn't judge me for the things I tell them. What do I do?

hyster

Re: People say it is OK to ask for help, but what if you have nobody to ask?

Postby hyster » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:41 pm

i know how it feels when people dt listen or want to listen.

if u are having delusions and hallucinations then u need to get down the docs ASAP, call on monday and ask for an emergency appointment. if ur suicidal then go to A and E !!!!

i never used to understand myself, they way i thought and felt was weird compared to other people, it wasent until i did a online personality test, read up on my personality type (mine is INTP) and found a forum for people like me that i started to understand.
people discussing there problems that i was having and others helping was a huge help to me.

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

try it and see if it helps.

susana

Postby susana » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am

It's probably not so much that people won't listen, as it is the fact you're worried about your sanity and what goes through your head, and how people will react or not understand you. Maybe it would be good to get professional help and maybe they'll help you go from there. I feel the same, like most people won't understand what I feel and goes through my head, and it's really hard to deal with this, as I keep asking myself the same questions and not getting a satisfactory reply... Also I would say, listen to Hyster...

rebde12

Postby rebde12 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my GP is aware and referred me to the Mental Health Team in my area. They have carried out an assessment now I am waiting to hear back from their MDT to see what my care and treatment plan will be.

I have getting the medical help that I need but I haven't got anyone around me that I trust enough to tell them whats going on. The only person at the minute that knows about the process I'm going through is my line manager. Other than her, nobody else knows what is going on and I am finding it harder and harder each day to explain why I am the way I am. I want people to know about my mental health but I also don't want the judgement and opinions of other people to put me down even more.

hyster

Postby hyster » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:30 pm

its great that u have started to deal with it. is ur line manager supportive ?? most of the ones ive had never gave a crap about there workers :/
have u no close friends or family ??

susana

Postby susana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 am

You can talk to us

minniemoo

Postby minniemoo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:26 am

Hey. The advice from your best friend was not good but it doesn’t mean she’s not a good friend. Mental health may just not be her strong point ?! Maybe you can tell her what experts have told you and some things you have researched online. If she’s really not supportive in this way then you do have this site and others.
It can definitely help to tell people you trust, but if you don’t feel you can and it may make you feel worse then you certainly don’t have to

minniemoo

Postby minniemoo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 am

You might feel differently once you start implementing your plan.. it was only once I started feeling more in control that I told people about my problems. Mostly they were supportive but not always, and if I had been at my most vulnerable certain comments would have really hurt me

bigmatt

Postby bigmatt » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:23 am

I still somehow manage to hide my mental illness from my new wife.

The cracks are showing

And I have already been accused of being bipolar

She’s close but not on the money yet

I know she knows there is something.

I’m scared of breaking us without saying. Scared of reactions if I say. I’ve been through the mill once with shrinks and drs.

I have no one to turn to. Family members are alienated.

Other than my wife I struggle with intimate or interpersonal relationships

I’ve joined this forum. And hope I find splice here.

As you can if you are open

piggy

Postby piggy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:08 am

What about the samaritans I've used them a lot they won't organise you help but are good listeners is there support groups in your area a Richmond fellowship to you go to a place ow worship where you could talk to someone other trusted friends have you been given acpn or care coordinator a recovery college where you can learn about your illness

Return to “Mutual Support Group”