Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Doctor told me it’s my fault

If you're new and want to say hello...
mary96

Doctor told me it’s my fault

Postby mary96 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:26 am

Hi, first time I have done something like this ....

I have suffered with depression and anxiety since I was 13, many suicide attempts, many therapies and different antidepressants..

My mood started to spiral suicidel thoughts, not sleeping uncontrollably Crying then the numbness, emptiness comes.

I went to my doctors to get help and tell them I’m having suicidle thoughts maybe change my medication and just some general support as I’m on the edge

The doctor told me stop feeling sorry for your self and your choosing to make your self miserable

This has sent me spiralling I had a breakdown in work and now I have to be with someone at all times because I’m on the end to kill myself

Has this happened to anyone

andthistoomustpass

Re: Doctor told me it’s my fault

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi

That's an awful experience. *hugs*

You are not the first to post something like that about a GP, sadly I suspect you won't be the last.

In my experience GPs seem only geared up to deal with situational anxiety and depression, even helpful GPs just don't get long term MH issues. Many seem to think it is just about pulling yourself together because they can't see an immediate cause. I suspect that is something to do with their training. I had one consultation where the Dr sympathised with the lack of mental health resources in the NHS by saying it is a shame all resources are needed to deal with serious illness. :lol: She was mortified she had said it but it was indicative of an underlying attitude.

I know it is hard to see right now but you are not responsible for your Dr's attitude, opinions and unprofessional behaviour.

You can change to another GP surgery in the area without giving any reason, you just find a local doctor accepting patients and they will sort the transfer for you. I did it and am pleased with the result.

mary96

Postby mary96 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:17 am

Thank you for responding im going to change my GP because I now have a fear of going there is make me so anxious.

Im really at the point of I don’t care about anything, I’m just have this numbing ache of sadness.

I’m trying to think everyday you will get through this but I don’t believe it, has anyone been this deep in a hole how did you get out ???

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi again!

Many people do find a way to climb out of that deep, dark, hole. Unfortunately, I am not one of them :lol: but even that is not the end of the world, I focus on living with it, accepting it is there, managing it and guess what? I even manage to enjoy my life and have fun, constantly topping up my empty heart with new people and new experiences. As my user name suggests, the most important thing for me is to know that the darkest times don't last forever and I will smile again soon. Have hope! There is lots to be hopeful about.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:58 am

Hi

I feel so sorry for you

You have suffered since you were 13. How awful for you. I don't understand your Dr. It's like telling them it's their fault they have cancer.

I wish you well.
Love Deb xx

Return to “Newbies Room”