Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Teen Son Won't Get Any Help

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
worriedmummy

Teen Son Won't Get Any Help

Postby worriedmummy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 pm

I have no clue what to do. My 15 year old son is depressed and has been for three or four months, with the last couple of months getting worse.
He won't to talk to me or his dad, has cut himself off from friends, refuses to talk to a counsellor or consider medication, won't do anything that might help lift his mood - go outside, do any activities.
He will only spend time in his (dark) room in bed or on his PC. His phone is pinging continually and he says he is talking to someone online but won't tell us any more than that - he says it is a positive influence but I have no idea who that person is and what they are saying.
His humour is totally up and down - from super angry to curled up in tears, with some laughter every once in a while.
He has self diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder.
GP offered no advise.
He is mostly still going to school although it's becoming more of a struggle.
He has been self harming.
I just don't know what I can do to help him.
Any parents with advise - please let me know what you think

robin71

Re: Teen Son Won't Get Any Help

Postby robin71 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Hello,
Fyi I am not a parent

Technically he can't self diagnose, and if he properly understood the condition he would understand that it needs professional treatment. So there is a contradiction but he is only 15 so...

If he does swing into periods of depression then the more stability you can give the better. Do you have a consensus in the house of a healthy way to deal with this? If you can still influence his nutrition and water in take do so. Try not to panic, live your life as normally as you can, but build a support network, and just keep letting your son know that you are there for him, whenever he feels he is ready to accept more support.
R

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”