Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Really persistent BDD thoughts

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
triplestar

Really persistent BDD thoughts

Postby triplestar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 pm

tw: body dysmorphia / ED

I've been really struggling with my ed and bdd recently. I've been relapsing more (mentally and behaviour wise) and I'm pretty sure that me restricting my food intake isn't exactly helping the situation. It's not 'hardcore' but still.

I've been having these compulsive behaviours relating to bdd for a few days that I literally can't stop doing (comparing my photos on social media to other people's and doing that on/off throughout the day and I fall asleep and wakeup thinking about one particular photo of me and not being sure if I look old in it or not (and trying to figure it out through this comparison/checking). It is so exhausting and I know that it is useless and waste of time but I just feel like I can't stop until I "fix" the situation (i.e. until I think I look "acceptable").

I feel too ashamed to talk about this to anybody IRL. I don't think they would understand (and they often dont). Relating to bdd I have two obsessions which are 'how old' I look and then just general body shape (but my preference shape shifts constantly).

I don't know where else reach out to really. Also my therapist moved abroad so I don't even have professional help available to me atm.

betterinrecovery

Re: Really persistent BDD thoughts

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 am

Dear Triplestar,
I might have an idea of some publications that might help. I do hope you have been able to get help on other sites or--closer to home.
with best wishes
B

betterinrecovery

Re: Really persistent BDD thoughts

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:04 am

Hi,
I have a bit of a library --from years of being unwell and dealing with my own mental illness.
I wondered if you had ever come across the 'little books' by Dr Chris Williams. :?:

He does what is called his 'little book course' and in includes titles such as 'how to solve almost any problem' and 'I'm not good enough' (which is about self-esteem). There are at least 10 book in the series and they can be purchased on Amazon or at the Living Life to the Full on line book shop.
they can be purchased as physical books or as e-books. I think the cost is about £2.00 per book.
Chris Williams is a well know and respected psychiatrist. I think, from reading his work, that he is kind and has an understanding of the dilemma that many of us face. Also his books are tried and tested...I think some I mentioned have been in publication for at least 15 years.

The books may appear quite simplistic on first perusal, but what you might notice, is that they help with the management of anxiety and difficult feelings. They teach management skills at it were, but I would still recommend that a counsellor/Therapist is found for support.

To my mind the books teach skills, but they are not necessarily a cure.

A support group, either on-line or better still an actual group where you can meet people is a good idea too.

Oh..the Living Life books are based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, but like I say, they are very user friendly.

Wishing you well.
B

Return to “Rant Room”