Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

why does no one care???

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
sirhugo

why does no one care???

Postby sirhugo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:17 pm

it seems perfectly clear to me that no one in this world gives a rats arse

i decided to sign up for a mental health awareness course at college. i figured it would give me something to do with my days, i would meet like minded people and learn something about my condition. it seemed like a winner on paper. however the reality was different

the course was a disorganised rabble. there are security guards everywhere constantly hounding you if you don't have your security pass. and the course itself is deathly dull and is nothing i dont alreadyknow. but the worst part is what happened on my first day

They started talking about communication difficulties and isolation. being very familiar with this, it hit home and my mood spiralled downwards. by break time i was literally standing banging my head off a wall trying to control myself. my classmates response to this? None. They walked right past laughing and joking. By the time the lecturer got back i was standing with my eyes closes talking deep breaths. his response? "You coming in, Gary?"

Why does no one in the world give a fuck? i was really struggling and i didn't even get a "are you ok?" that was all i wanted, someone to show that they cared and i didnt get it. i dont know if the worldis full of selfish assholes or if they are just too self involved to notice someone else pain

maisi

Re: why does no one care???

Postby maisi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:39 am

What the hell?? That's ridiculous, to set up a MH awareness group and not support the attendees- it's not you, it's them. Not this specifically, but this sort of thing, makes me very wary how I ask for help, especially for my daughter. If you want to hear some ranting on ways of helping that cause so much stress, just let me know. It does sometimes do more harm than good.

It sounds like 2 things, have I understood ok? feel free to say if i've got it wrong. 1 is it sounds like you were understandably stressed about attending and hearing about issues that are serious for you, and 2 it was a really poorly thought through event, to not oversee the effects on attendees and understand mh enough (on a mh awareness day) to make sure it was helpful rather than adding to the pressure.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am

We in the world give a fuck and for you

The day might have helped everyone except you - that sometimes is just the way it is

A "big" event like that is not always for everyone

But try to stick with it - and not only it - but do other things also

The trouble with this MH lark is that it can take over your life and brain - and that aint good

So try to do other things also

Until one day the other things have taken over from the MH
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm

hi all. thanks for the responses. I think that's why I ranted on here. because I know the people here do give a fuck :D

maisi I agree. if its a mental health course, shouldn't they assume that most of the people there will have mental health conditions? seems like a safe bet to me. the lecturers should have some sort of training on how to deal with this stuff.

upwards I have to decided not to continue with this course, it just not for me. but I wont be giving up. im going to try a music course that starts in January. that might be a better fit

maisi

Postby maisi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 pm

:D

Well done for picking yourself up straight away- that shows something good. Fair enough it doesn't sound like a great course ( :evil: ), but yes a good idea to do the other one instead. It's november already- sign up!

I've done bits and pieces over the years. I've always found courses and things a really good way to just be around more people, try and stop the rot, oh, and learn something.

Your thread reminded me I should plan for January, so thanks for posting about your really crappy day, and hope you know it's not you.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:15 am

So what are you going to do to help yourself between now and january

That is a lot of weeks
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:03 am

dunno really. eat sleep conquer repeat :D

yeah I for the most part enjoy college courses. low stress, low commitment but good for giving you a routine and sense of purpose. I've done volunteering in the past too so I might look into that again

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Do you do online college courses or can you get onto them for free

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:29 pm

How old are you ?

Single or ?

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Not really a fan of online courses. I’m 38. Been with my girlfriend for many years

Return to “Rant Room”