Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Cooking for Comfort

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Unfortunately, I am feeling emotionally distressed quite a lot of the time. I am trying to soothe myself by cooking.
I am an o.k. cook, but I think I could improve my skills and my confidence.

I am not sure that I could cook for a living, but perhaps I could cook a variety of dishes from around the world.
I am doing this to try and improve my mood.
I thought I would write about it here.

betterinrecovery

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:32 am

The mood is still low, but I have had a few adventures!

I have a frozen food store near by and they sell peeled frozen apple.

Anyway, I got a bag and left it on the side in the kitchen, thinking that I would make an apple crumble - I have been in a bit of a muddle ,so it stayed there for a while and started to go brown (and smell of vinegar which must have been because of the lemon juice that I mixed with the apple, I am not sure of the chemical reaction that happened but the apple definately smelled of vinegar).
So, what to do?

I had just enough groceries in the cupboard to make a sort of chutney: brown sugar, mixed dried fruit, a tomatoe, a chilli and a bottle of vinegar.
I was supposed to use a 1 1/2 of plums, no plums so I used courgettes instead.

Actually, I had to add a bit of white sugar to the Brown sugar to make up the Lb of sugar that I needed.
So I made Old Dover Chutney,
I now have 7 jars of the stuff, I filled old coffee jars -
I got the recipe from Delia Smith's classic cookery course book -

The strange thing is that my partner is not into Chutney at all...more for me I suppose.

I feel pretty rubbish and I struggle to make it through the day. Writing about this here is helping me feel better,

with best regards, feel free to comment and share

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:45 am

today is a struggle,
but I am feeling better for writing here.
B

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi b

I am pleased you are finding a little comfort in your cooking and the forum. You always write interesting and informative posts, so keep it up.
A couple of weeks ago I thought I would by a new bag of flour, fresh eggs and proper cooking margarine. I didn't have a recipe in mind but if you have the ingredients in when inspiration strikes it helps.

Like you I have been a bit more out of sorts, so I had not got round to making anything yet. Went to make some dinner the other day and whoa had a cupboard full of twitchies. Had to empty the whole lot but luckily there wasn't too much to throw out.

They had obviously come in with the flour. I know it would not hurt if we ate one or two. We probably have in our time, but it isn't a nice thought.

Let us know what you make next. Wish I could be your taster.
Xxx hugs Chris

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi betterinrecovery and christabel,

I love that you're talking about cooking- I find cooking quite soothing- just doing dinner, using spices and vegetables, love the smells and skills involved, also knowing I'm making something good for me and my daughter. It can be really creative, sounds like that''s what happened with your chutney session B, what a lovely result. I was proud to make my niece her birthday cake recently cos she's fallen out with her mum, so I stepped in. I did a raspberry and rose cake, it seemed a good summery, quite pink cake. Apples, vinegar, flour, butter, who knows what you'll get.

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 pm

betterinrecovery, you're going to be ok, just keep managing x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks maisi

It's good to distract our minds (when feeling well enough) cooking, colouring and music can help I find.
The cake you made sounds scrumptious. I must try but I must admit I have lost a bit of confidence since having a really bad spell. I used to be a keen baker.
Have you tried making lemon drizzle cake. Must admit it is a family favourite and not too difficult.

It is sad to know when one of us is struggling more than usual. Big Hug b. Hope you feel stronger soon.

Look forward to hearing from you both. X Chris

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 am

Hi B and Chris,

I'm sorry both of you are having harder times, and hope life will send you more of the positives that give a little strength and confidence. I try to believe what I've been told, that small positives can combine to make genuinely helpful improvements. But I feel it's also important to let yourself off the pressures that are too much, and be kind to yourself- I've had a change in my ability to cope, and am trying to adjust and feel ok about that.

B, adapting to what you have and making chutney is truly brilliant, and that kind of skill to preserve fruit and use resources well has probably kept the human race going through many a hard winter. It's making me want a sandwich thinking about it, so maybe it's good that I wouldn't know where to start, cos sandwiches are my enemy.

I'm no baker! One birthday cake, maybe one other cake a year, but I know how rewarding it is when it works. If I have a failure I stand there doing the mountains of washing up involved, with the smell of burnt cake, or the sorry sight of a collapsed cake, stressed and annoyed with myself for wasting time, effort and ingredients. But Chris, if you are able and have time, give yourself the pleasure and bake a cake.

I've never tried making a lemon drizzle, I would love to know how to do that as I've had the home made version and it's so lovely- refreshing unlike most cakes. Do you have a good recipe you could send me or is it secret?

Here's a link to the recipe I used- it's a bit indulgent if it's not for an occasion though. Got half a tub of double cream in the fridge that needs chucking out, and most of bottle of rose water with no idea what to do with it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ros ... ponge-cake

I hope I'm not being annoying, I'm sorry I don't know what you're both really going through, being new and wrapped up in my own situation, but I do care, and would love to understand more.

Maisi x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi maisi

Hope Today has been ok for you. My hubby and myself have managed two days of chilling and feel better for it. Chopped veg to make a casserole so dinner was easy and hot. Needed it here today as it was quite cool.

Just to give you a little info. I have lived with anxiety and depression for a lot of years and been on medication off and on since 1980.
My husband is possibly starting the onset dementia which has made him anxious so He is taking medication which is helping.

Having family difficulties over the last few years has taken its toll on us but I am no way near being as poorly as a number of years ago.
Mentally that is. I've been having treatment for physical health problems all this year but gradually feeling stronger.

I don't really discuss things with people other than on here. I look forward to hearing more from you if you felt up to it.

If you were to try Mary Berrys recipe for the lemon drizzle it is pretty fail proof. You will find her recipes on the internet.

Take care. Chris

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Chris,

I meant to reply last night but fell asleep. I've got to get us out of the house soon for a day out, but wanted to say thanks now I feel I know a bit better who I'm talking to. I'm sorry to hear about your husband, and all the tough times you've been through, you must be a pro at monitoring and taking action for depression and anxiety. Will talk properly when I'm not in a rush.

Take care, I hope you have a relaxing bank holiday

Maisi

ooh and thanks for the recipe tip

Return to “The Kitchen”