Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Experience of using anti depressants

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
c-lo

Experience of using anti depressants

Postby c-lo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 am

Hi,

I have been recently been prescribed the anti depressant sertraline by my doctor. I know it can take a number of weeks for the medication to have its full effect, but I have started feeling better generally. I am taking better physical care of myself and for the first time reaching out and trying to build a network for support, which has helped. Currently I am awaiting an assessment from the local wellbeing team to access talking therapies.

I have a review with my doctor in 2 weeks time, so my question to the group is how do I know whether the dosage I am on is correct? Will increasing the dosage make me feel better and how will I know if the dosage is too high, will I not be able to feel anything at all?

Depression and anxiety have been a part of my life for such a long time, I am not sure I would recognize when they are not, if that makes sense.

Any insight from users of anti depressants would be much appreciated :)

capitalt

Re: Experience of using anti depressants

Postby capitalt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:23 pm

In my experience your GP will judge when the dosage is correct.
It's good you're improving, it's a great sign you're on your way.
It can take a few months before you feel any benefits, so it's good to be patient.
Therapy may help too.
Wishing you good luck and every success.

emloja

Postby emloja » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:53 pm

I went on an interesting journey- some ups and downs. I think the rule is to the the meds for 3 months at least when you are feeling good- so 3 months stable. I had suffered from Anxiety and Depression for a long while and found at different periods the tablets seemed to target different areas- so my anxiety initially really lifted but then the lows got worse. Then i had even more positive changes with my anxiety. Please seeks support from your GP- just be really open and honest with them. I also went through stages when i felt i was 'cured' only to have a drop which i then perceived with complete fear about 'going back'. Another time i thought i was completely well and reduced my meds a bit too soon. So you also need patience. I made a note of my current symptoms and how i would need to feel to be better. I guess it depends on your symptoms however it was only after being on the meds that i realised how bad things were- there were thing i had just accepted as being me now which after they reduced/stopped i realised this wasn't true. Now i am just in the moment- i am doing well but am being patient in reducing as i have tried to do this too early before.
hope some of that is helpful, Emma

c-lo

Postby c-lo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am

Hi, capitalt and emloja and thank you for your kind words, they are really helpful for me.

I know it is early days and I understand the need to be patient, as there is no quick fix. It just feels good to take positive steps towards a solution.

The doctor I saw initially wasn't my doctor, but another partner in the practice. She said a review after 1 month, but she would want me to use them for a period of at least 6 months. The only reason I ask the question about dosage is that I like to be prepared and know the questions I want to ask when I see MY doctor next time (To build continuity over the coming months). They are very understanding, but my surgery is really popular and appointments are precious, so I want to make the most of them.

I am glad you are doing well Emma and will try to be patient in my own journey. I hadn't thought of keeping notes or maybe a journal of my symptoms and mood, thanks. I can see how that would help to monitor any improvement over the months, as memory is not always the most reliable record.

Thank you both again for sharing your experience with me, it has been very helpful :)

cookiemonster

Postby cookiemonster » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 am

I am taking sertraline. I am a month in. Week two to three I felt fantastic. Sounds a bit hippy but like an inner peace. The fog lifted, I felt more focused, I felt less anxious, road rage stopped, I became more rationale, I started to enjoy life. Week three to four felt like a backwards leap. Feel rough like old self.

I asked people at my support group last night and they said I will experience ups and downs as my body gets used to the meds and not to worry as it takes 3 months for them to get fully established.

c-lo

Postby c-lo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi cookiemonster,

Thanks for your insight, any type of cookies in particular?

The doctor did advise me to be aware that after 2 or 3 weeks I may experience increased anxiety for a week or so and the urge to act impulsively, but to be aware this is just a characteristic of the medication and ride it out. I have just started my 3rd week and still generally feel better, but have also kept myself safe and away from any difficult situations for now.

I must say this forum has been a real find for me, using others experiences to help me navigate through my own situation. Thank you :)

Return to “Mutual Support Group”