SANE Support Forum

Looking for advice please

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
kerryc

Looking for advice please

Postby kerryc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi there
This is my first post.
I believe my brother may be bipolar. He has periods of extreme high's where he can't be reasoned with, then he will lock himself away from everyone for weeks on end. He has never been diagnosed as bipolar but he has recently been treated for depression and anxiety. He has had these issues for as long as I can remember, so it's not a recent thing. What can I do to help him get the help he needs? Who can I turn to? His GP obviously can't discuss things with me, so I have written her a letter detailing all I have witnessed through the years and giving a little insight to his past. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

capitalt

Re: Looking for advice please

Postby capitalt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 am

Maybe look at the NHS, MIND, etc Web sites to see if there is any advice as to how you can help him when things get difficult.
I hope you can all get the support you need.
Good luck

rsxo

Re: Looking for advice please

Postby rsxo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi kerryc,

Welcome to the forum!

You've done great by detailing your concerns to the GP - the only other thing you can do is convince him to go to the GP. Even under the disguise of a general appointment, the GP can only progress with your information if they have an appointment and discuss the next step with your brotherx

Hope all goes well - do let us know how things go!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”