Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hello, 1st post & not sure what I am looking for.

If you're new and want to say hello...
c-lo

Hello, 1st post & not sure what I am looking for.

Postby c-lo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my 1st post. I have struggled for quite some time with from what I have read here and elsewhere seems like a form of depression (not diagnosed). I have also lived with anxiety probably most of my life and have found it has hindered me from in uncomfortable situations, like meeting new people and building relationships. When I have been pushed to do these things, I have put on a façade, but have never really allowed people to get too close to make real friendships.

Over the last two months my anxiety, has got much worse as I was the victim of a physical assault in my own home. Whilst, waiting for the police investigation to run its course and avoid all contact with the person, who is a direct neighbour, I have felt like a prisoner in my own home. This person has now accepted a caution and has been issued with a notice by the local housing authority, but the situation is still unresolved in my mind, which has such an impact on my ability to concentrate or go about doing the practical day to day stuff.

I feel constantly on edge at the moment, although not necessarily afraid, but more like angry at the intrusion into my space. I have recently completed my first year of degree studies, but this was made a real struggle over the last couple of months, because of my lack of concentration. This makes me even more annoyed, as it took me a long time to get everything in place to return to education, studying a subject I am passionate about and is the only thing over the last year that has bought any enjoyment into my life.

I have spoken to my doctor’s surgery before the incident re: general feelings of depression / anxiety, but either not much help in my area it seems or its oversubscribed. I have belatedly contacted the local victims support and I am awaiting a call back from a care manager to set up a support plan.

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a drama, but I don’t have many family members or any friends for support. I do feel a little better just now by typing everything out though. Thanks, C.

teamn

Re: Hello, 1st post & not sure what I am looking for.

Postby teamn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Hiya

So sorry to read about all you have been, but we'll done on the first year of the degree. That's awesome, what are you studying?

Anyway the advice I would have offered you have already done, doing guess it's waiting game now.

Have yiu told university, I know they break up soon or already, but they have councillors they can refer yiu to, if not now then in September when you start back.

Never apologise fir a post, and also keep posting I found it really helpful especially when I was waiting for support on the outside

c-lo

Postby c-lo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it helps me to remember I am not alone, and everyone's situation is relative.

I received the call from victims support, which I found really helpful in actually being able to talk to a person about my current issues. Unfortunately the information on help they mailed was a little disappointing, a few fact sheets on "Beating the worry wheel" and some NHS print outs. Have arranged a follow-up call for next week. They also advised to see my doctor to update them on my current situation, which is my next task today. Maybe they can advise some more local support / help or a different approach.

I am studying towards a BSc in Environmental Management & Technology, which is an area I am passionate about and seems like the only constant at the moment to keep some structure in my life and goals for the future, thanks for asking.

teamn

Postby teamn » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi

Sounds like a hard subject that your studying, what career path are you aiming towards.

Shame the mail from VS was not helpful for you.

Remember to ask university to arrange counsellor.

c-lo

Postby c-lo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:10 am

Hi,

I have spoken to my doctor who has started me on an anti-depressant and I have self-referred to the local heath care trust to access talking therapies etc.. I am waiting for an assessment call from them over the next few days. I know both of these will take a while to have an effect, but by asking for help it feels like I am moving forward.

As for my course it's a subject I am really interested in and I aim to work within the environmental sector in the future, somewhere in some capacity. I am not at a brick uni, but distance learning instead, which can be isolating. However, my next module does require compulsory collaboration with other students. The uni do seem to take mental health seriously and have online support and a night line for students. So, I know there's help available when I need it and am now not afraid to ask for it. It's also another piece of a support network I have started constructing. Thanks, C

Return to “Newbies Room”