Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hm courts and tribunals (trig)

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Hon

Hm courts and tribunals (trig)

Postby Hon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Has anyone had to go to a tribunal in order to keep their benefits?

My anxiety level is through the roof......I find it hard to leave my room let alone my house and now next month I'm supposed to be going to court to sit through a tribunal to be assessed, I guess to see if i'm sufficiently mental enough to keep my income support, I don't know if i can do it, just keep thinking if i was dead this would just all go away although i'm not brave enough to end my life, feel like cutting really bad, my head is spinning, what do i do????????????? AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I already feel like a failure and can't cope with the idea of being judged by a load of people who don't even know me in a strange and scarey place like a court room.....I so wish i could just get my shit together and go get a job and be normal and a useful member of society, I hate this and feel ashamed.

Has anyone had a tribunal? what happens? were you allowed to take someone with you? who? what was it like? feel like an idiot, why can't i get my shit together. :cry: :oops: :x
why do I always have to know why?

Hon

Re: Hm courts and tribunals (trig)

Postby Hon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 am

Hi lucretia,

Forgive my stupidity but what's a cpn? Is It the same as my therapist? I'll talk to her about it in my next session, I only got the courts letter today, made me panic.

Thanks for your reply.

take care.x
why do I always have to know why?

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 pm

I had one for my ESA: my GP gave me a letter which stated that in his opinion work-related activity would put me at serious risk of harm. The people at the tribunal ask me to wait in another room while they read it, then told me I'd won my case. There wasn't any court-room, everyone was really helpful.
Get as much evidence as you can about how your condition affects your ability to work xxx

scotty1

Postby scotty1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi Hon, try not to panic.I went to a tribunal in August of this year. I was on ESA.
My GP sent to very supportive letters to the tribunal on my behalf which they said really helped support my case.
Like you I was hyper anxious beforehand. I went for advice to a money matters at my local council and they were extremely helpful and came with me on the day.

I cried throughout the whole process whilst trying to explain that I was not 'fit for work'.
I was in the tribunal for about 25 mins and then I waited in another room, whilst the money matters representative came back with their decision which was that they agreed. They also stated I was not to have another medical for a year.
The nice thing was my money was backdated for a whole year to the higher rate. (This was because it took a whole year for the case to come to tribunal.
There is a useful document on the Tribunals Service website called 'how to appeal' which I found useful.
Have you sent your own supporting letter stating why you disagree with their decision?

You can take a friend or family member too if you wish.

I also downloaded the latest WCA handbook which really helped to pick their decision apart.
I was placed in a work related capability group, which will hopefully help me find a way back to work in the future.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”