Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Explaining depression to your children

Ask, explore, query, share
Simba

Explaining depression to your children

Postby Simba » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi. I'm new to the site. I have struggled with depression for many years but I'm having a particularly tough time at the moment. I've just come off citalapram and started venlafaxine. Not at the right dose yet, feeling awful.

I have a very bright 12 year old son. I've never talked to him about my mental health before. I want to try and explain and reassure him about what's going on but don't know how to bring it up or what to say. I don't want him to be worried or scared.

Would love any advice

Thanks

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Re: Explaining depression to your children

Postby judithj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:16 pm

first thing with venlafaxine is that you meed to take it regularly at about the same time every day: even if you leave it a couple of hours, you can feel really awful from withdrawal symptoms. It's not addictive, but you should NEVER come off it without medical advice. The second thing is that you might consider using the XR form of it as this releases the drug into your system at a more regulated rate. I'm on Venlafaxine XR 150mg and it does help. Sometimes venlafaxine can make your head feel a bit funny - a bit like a painless electric shock: moving your head slowly can help to avoid this. Keep trying, and I hope you feel better soon, xxx

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Maybe look up some info online that's aimed at children, there should be something available that will help you find the right words and language to help him to understand.
it's hard for children as they can easily pick up that something isn't right but feel scared to ask questions. I'll have a look to see if I can find anything.

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Simba

Postby Simba » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Thank you for the replies and support.
I've just started on venlafaxine one 75mg at the moment, increasing every 2 weeks. been on citalapram and fluoxetine before. I didn't know there were variations of it. Helpful to know about the timing, thank you. And thank you for your kind words :-)

Avalon, that link is really interesting thanks. It's a difficult subject to approach with an adult loved one, let alone children.

Really hope the venlafaxine is going to help me but in mean time my son needs to understand why is mums such a mess :-(

Simba

Postby Simba » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks Judithj.xx

Return to “Information Exchange”