Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Issues with my care coordinator

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
kasskaa11

Re: Issues with my care coordinator

Postby kasskaa11 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 am

hi ethan,
im only posting to let you know someones reading and listening, i know for a fact,
users on here will be familiar with your story, ive followed a few conversations regarding
this...

you will receive plenty if suggestions and info, my first thought was advocacy? maybe that
would be intrusive also,

you deserve a standard of care tailored to you, and not the cmht,

good luck, ill follow your story

xoxo

chrissyb111

Postby chrissyb111 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am

Hi i dont no the answer to this one even thou i have a coordiantor,could you ask him why hes asking you these personnal questions and that you find it is invading your private space, just a thought,good luck with it.

muchlove

Postby muchlove » Sat May 26, 2012 10:32 am

I'm afraid I don't know the answer either. But I would say the same as chrissy, ask the question, there may be an easy solution to this. Maybe he feels (rightly or wrongly) that there are issues in your 'personal life' which is why he's digging around? Just having that conversation could set a few things straight.
I will say (and this is only personal opinion) that the job of care coordinator is to have a good knowledge of the 'whole' person in order to oversee the different areas of their care. For example, if you had a therapist to deal with issues in the past - that's what they would focus on, an occupational therapist would focus on issues around work and managing your time but a CCo should be overseeing all of this and making sure your needs are met. Getting to know the whole person is part of this.
It could be nothing more than him trying to get to know you better to ensure he's giving you the best possible care. I know that my care coordinator knows more about me and my 'personal' life than anyone in the world!
Don't be afraid to ask him what hes doing and why hes focusing on the things he is, if hes good at what he does he wont mind you asking and it should then enable you to talk about it and give your opinion, afterall it is your care.

Let us know how you get on?
"You may be laying in the gutter but at least you'll be looking up at the stars."

belle

Postby belle » Sat May 26, 2012 11:58 am

Hello.
I'm not sure on the guidelines for care co-ordinators either.
As you have known him so long, I agree with the others, and maybe try to have an open conversation with him and tell him your concerns?
It can be hard to get a co-ordinator let alone one who is generally good, so it would be a shame for the relationship to sour without trying to have a clear the air discussion.
It sounds like the CMHT have helped keep you stable for some time which is also very positive.
It could be they decide you no longer need support if he doesn't need to help with MH issues. Perhaps think how you might feel about that too?
I hope you can het this situation moved on so you feel happier about it.
Take care.

deadchick07

Postby deadchick07 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:32 pm

seems to me he is using the Recovery Star model, (it can be googled easily) and this approach is used widely by CMHTs for the past few years. It covers 10 aspects of your life all affected by your mental health, everything from addiction and self esteem to relationships and work.

Your mental health and its detrioration do not happen in isolation and can impact on many issues in your life, so perhaps he is trying to work with you holistically.

Maybe ask him directly why he is asking abourt areas you consider personal, and you may find this is why he is asking, quite legitimately, about it.
I'm not mad, I'm furious

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

tracie

Postby tracie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 pm

you can ask for discharge by speaking to the cmht boss or asking for an new worker the cpn is there for your mh and should not interfer with your wife unless she has concerns over your mh

belle

Postby belle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi there.
That all sounds rather alarming to me.
I hope he asked if you minded the student being there? You are perfectly within your rights to refuse with no repercussions. I have had the unpleasant and traumatic experience of assorted consultants for physical problems, 'playing the stage' in front of medical student(s). I'm afraid now I just say no.
Your care co-ordinator does seem to be saying rather strange things from what you have said about your situation and conversations.
I imagine you can chose to discharge yourself from the CMHT by contacting them and telling them. However, this would leave you without support. If the support felt helpful would you still like it and/or would you feel able to cope without it?
I don't know the 'rules' but in my system I would ring the manager of the CMHT and ask for an appointment to discuss all this. They would then hopefully appoint a different person. If that didn't work/help you would make an informal or formal complaint to the Mental Health Authority. There should be a PALS contact who might help you sort out this situation.
If you are feeling concerned/threatened/intimidated/uncomfortable by this relationship perhaps you need to address what has happened if you can face the hassle?
Keep posting on here if it helps.
There may well be people who have more detailed knowledge and advice.
I hope you can get somewhere with this.
Take care.
x

teamn

Postby teamn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Don't know the answers to your specific questions, but letting you know I've read your post. I had similar experience with my mental health midwife, she also brought student along, and her visits actually stressed me out further. I didn't want discharge from service m just from her, I just communicated honesty with her, telling her that her style was not working fir me, and what other styles can she use, I also asked her what her role was, what her responsibilities and what is her objectives on dealing with me.. if you ask those questions you can get the answers and begin new conversation with CMHT worker, and hopefully guide the way your visits happen and get what you need. At the moment it sounds like he's doing what he thinks he should do rather than what's needed. Take back contro, and if that fails, talk to your go and get them to contact the service manager in your behalf.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”