Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Sleeping as a coping mechanism

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
lobster

Sleeping as a coping mechanism

Postby lobster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Hello
When everything gets too much for me I sleep. It helps me cope.
My family has excluded me from a family break. They know I am unable to have a break on my own due to my MH.

I don’t have anyone I can go away with.

I don’t think it unreasonable to feel shut out and not listened to by them.
Atm I don’t want my family in my life.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rsxo

Re: Sleeping as a coping mechanism

Postby rsxo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:56 am

Hey :)

Sorry to hear what you're going through. It's fairly common for people to use sleep as a coping mechanism, as a way to escape the suffering and sadness of being awake and living. But it's not a cure - it temporarily helps you escape from pain, but doesn't remove the thorn itself. Professional medical and psychological support are key to being free from this cycle of suffering and escape!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:49 am

Hi lob

I was going to say the same as rsxo. When I was having therapy for depression the guy said "don't sleep all day"

It's cometely understandable but won't help you get over the depression. Instead it will prolong it indefinitely. You need to force yourself to be active, starting with small tasks which you can fulfill then broadening to bigger tasks like swimming or jogging. CBT therapy can help, as will reading self help books. Meditation breally helps if you do it properly

Your family haven't abandoned you, they are just being realistic and it gives them a break to having to care for you! Try not to forget the impact that your illness is having on them.

Depression always lifts eventually but you have to play your part.

Best wishes

Isap

gminnella251

Postby gminnella251 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi.
Forgive my mistakes: English is not my first language.
Until now i never realised i was using sleeping as a coping mechanism and now i'm a bit scared, because it shows how my depression affect also that kind of things.
Eating ok, i already knew the way i eat was a manifestation of my anxiety, but sleeping...geez.
When i don't want to talk with my parents i sleep or when i'm evading the things i have to do for the day and than i feel guilty, i sleep, because i know i will not do them nor stop to feel guilty.
People let me sleep, because the think i'm tired and i'm able to sleep more than half a day.
Thanks to you, know i will try to stop doing it.

Return to “Safe Room”