Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Housemate refuse to accept illness

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
kathyd

Housemate refuse to accept illness

Postby kathyd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi, my housemate (also my ex boyfriend) has been a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic for around 22 years. He has been relatively stable until 3 years ago when he had to change his medication because of the complications it was causing; he was sectioned for 4 months. At the end of January this year, he stopped his medication again and is now back in hospital. An initial improvement has been followed by an horrific setback. He refuses to accept that he has any form of mental illness and that he will take medication whilst in hospital as they make him, but when hr finally gets released, he's taking nothing ever again. I am in turmoil at the thought of this as he is very frightening whilst off the anti psychotics and I feel unsafe in my home. what can anyone do to make him see sense? He has taken medication and knows that when he stops, he lands back in hospital (which he hates), so it's obvious that there is a problem. He has been violent and extremely verbally abusive to the staff and they are considering moving him to a different hospital as they are unsure how to progress with him. Something that may help with any answers, he has now has 'parkinsonism', this is due to being prescribed Haloperidol for 17 years....

rsxo

Re: Housemate refuse to accept illness

Postby rsxo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:24 pm

kathyd wrote:Hi, my housemate (also my ex boyfriend) has been a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic for around 22 years. He has been relatively stable until 3 years ago when he had to change his medication because of the complications it was causing; he was sectioned for 4 months. At the end of January this year, he stopped his medication again and is now back in hospital. An initial improvement has been followed by an horrific setback. He refuses to accept that he has any form of mental illness and that he will take medication whilst in hospital as they make him, but when hr finally gets released, he's taking nothing ever again. I am in turmoil at the thought of this as he is very frightening whilst off the anti psychotics and I feel unsafe in my home. what can anyone do to make him see sense? He has taken medication and knows that when he stops, he lands back in hospital (which he hates), so it's obvious that there is a problem. He has been violent and extremely verbally abusive to the staff and they are considering moving him to a different hospital as they are unsure how to progress with him. Something that may help with any answers, he has now has 'parkinsonism', this is due to being prescribed Haloperidol for 17 years....

Hi kathyd,

The authorities have shown their incompetence time and again. If I were you, I would contact Mind about what to do next. It may be that you have to evict him in order to feel safe, but hopefully it doesn't have to come to that.

Much love <3
RSxo <3

kathyd

Postby kathyd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Thank you, but I don't want to have him evicted as he needs assistance. He has now been moved to a more secure unit in Bury, but they won't give any info over the phone, but hings have not improved. We weren't told that he had been moved & it took several phone calls to locate him in this new hospital.

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 am

I think it was better that he was moved - that way, he can be treated without the sacrifice of your mental wellbeing and physical health. I know that the authorities are incompetent, but hopefully this move has made him reassess his situation. Hope you feel better soon <3
RSxo <3

kathyd

Postby kathyd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am

We all feel so helpless at the moment, it's like he's given up. He's not eating, not drinking, refusing all forms of medication. He's now in a general hospital being drip fed (forcibly) & then back to Bury medium secure hospital. He could die if he doesn't get himself together, never been this bad in the 20 years I've known him

christabel

Postby christabel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Sorry to hear this kathy. Will keep him in my thoughts.

Chris

Return to “Safe Room”