Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Scary!

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
acorn

Re: Scary!

Postby acorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 am

Hello lonely

Emdr is a very traumatic experience in itself so it makes sense he is reluctant to proceed at this moment in time. I'm surprised he is not going to with you in a different way though. Is he only trained in Emdr? Or did I misinturpret what you mean by that he didn't offer further support.

A meeting sounds like a good idea to me. I know it's very scary to go to a meeting with all those professionals but they are having it to work out a way forward for you. Surely it's better to be involved in the process and hear what they are saying and be able to put your own points across.

I know I have said this a lot but a meeting like that would be an ideal situation to use writing things down to your advantage. Make some bullet points of how things are from your point of view so you don't forget in the anxiety of the moment. If you know what you would like out of the meeting ideally such as more of a specific type of support or to continue therapy or try a different therapy include that as well
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

lonely2

Postby lonely2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm

My therapist is going to offer more EMDR when I am more stable until then I am just going to touch base with him from time to time.
I am not phased out by the meeting and would like it to happen so we can discuss a way forward.
Today I rang the MHT in a panic and they told me to ring back when I had calmed down!!! It would have been better if they helped me to calm my breathing and stay with me. I ended up harming myself and now I'm feeling low.
Life is pretty hard right now
It's hard to keep a secret when it's written all over your body.

It makes you feel able to cope with life, while at the same time it's destroying you.

acorn

Postby acorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Hello lonely

How rediculous that the mental health team told you to call back when you are calm because you called them in a panic. It makes you wonder what they are actually there for! It's shocking you were recreated that way but not all that surprising. Mental health care in this country leaves a lot to be desired I'm really sorry to hear that your attempt at reaching out for help. Was not met with a helpful response and you self harmed as a result and I get why you would feel bad about it but it's done now. I find it really hard to get out of that self punishing self destructing mindset when that happens to me so I find it helps to take a step back and remind myself that it will only lead to further self harm.

I'm you are not phased by the meeting and agree that it's a good thing. I really hope you manage to agree a way forward with the professionals. Please do let us know when it's going to take place so we can support you.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

lonely2

Postby lonely2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Saw my psychiatrist today and he was quite helpful. He agreed that I can have a CPN so that I don't have to keep talking to different people. I like her and am hopeful that she can help me.
He wants me to talk to my GP about having a crisis plan so that I can get an appointment without explaining things to the receptionists. I will tackle that next week.
I have got to stay on my medication which I'm not too happy about but only take the quetiapine every other day. Will see how it goes.
He said that the crisis house is still available if I need it but I really don't want to go back there again.

It makes you feel able to cope with life, while at the same time it's destroying you.

acorn

Postby acorn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Hello lonely

I'm glad your psychiatrist was so helpful and came up with some ideas of how you can move forward. Your cpn sounds good I hope you get on well with her. Sometimes having a steady constant person makes all the difference. A crisis plan with gps surgery is also a really good idea and definately worth exploring. I understand that you don't particularly wish to return to the crisis house but having the option open is also good.

lonely2

Postby lonely2 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks Acorn,
I have had a weird weekend - been so tired and have slept and slept which is not like me. I was in bed at 9pm last night and didn't wake up till 10am and I didn't have a nightmare which was just brill. However now I feel so tired again! Maybe the answer is going to bed when I am tired and I might have another good night's sleep.
I managed to tidy up downstairs and clean the kitchen, cook a roast dinner and mow the lawn. So all in all not a bad weekend.
Not looking forward to work this week - got a busy one and need to speak to my GP at some point.

acorn

Postby acorn » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:09 pm

Going to bed when tired sounds like a good plan to me. I hope it works well for you again tonight.

Return to “Safe Room”