Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

mindful drawing technique

For poetry, art, writing, music - your own or others'
maisi

mindful drawing technique

Postby maisi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:19 pm

I was googling art therapy to see what it means, and ended up looking at this website about zentangles- it's a simple way of using drawing as mindfulness, and I've got really into it. It sometimes gives me a break from symptoms if I can sit down and spend time on it. Basically you need a nice pencil, nice black pen and some drawing paper. I like drawing but never know what to draw, (sometimes, but not recently, I've found it relaxing to try and draw from life- a plant or something, but then it's hard not to judge if it's any good, whereas this technique is not about making a 'good' drawing, it's about relaxation, here's a link

https://zentangle.com/pages/get-started

mezzaninedoor

Re: mindful drawing technique

Postby mezzaninedoor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Im rubbish at drawing.
Thats why I like colouring books as I feel like im being creative when the creativity is very limited.
This looks cool

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Mezzaninefloor and Maisi
I have enjoyed colouring books and zentangles.
I have put them aside for the cooking and gardening, but now the winter is on the way, may go back to them :)

with best wishes
B

maisi

Postby maisi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi B and mezzanine, been meaning to reply for ages as I was chuffed to see it might be helpful for someone else. It's so easy, as you're not trying to make a wonderful piece of art, just be with yourself making patterns out of lines, dots, grids, with a set format so nothing to think through. Some of mine are basically an illustration of a panic attack, some look nice, plenty just weird and not great, but all were good time spent by myself.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 am

Well it is now on my do list

There is a bit more to it than colouring in
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

maisi

Postby maisi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Ace- best advice is definitely don't plan what it's going to look like, make small repetitive marks/shapes and it'll come together better than something you planned.

Return to “Creative Corner”