Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

ECT

Ask, explore, query, share
squirt

ECT

Postby squirt » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:29 pm

Does anyone have ECT? I find it works brilliantly for me,I suffer from bi-polar and it has helped. What do others think? Ive had no memory loss problems.

albertinageller

Re: ECT

Postby albertinageller » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 am

It's great to know that ECT worked for you, are you facing any kind of issue now or any side effects after doing ECT procedure?

haywire

Re: ECT

Postby haywire » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 am

I’ve had four courses of ECT over the past 2 years, each consisting of between 4 - 6 treatments. Ive tried countless antidepressants over the past 20 years with only 2 being of any benefit, and they too eventually failed. ECT was the only option available and after a great deal of research I decided to proceed.
The first course consisted of four treatments bi-weekly on an inpatient basis, resulting in a rapid improvement to a level where I felt consistently ‘normal’. If I had to describe the effect, it’s like a dark shroud being lifted off your mind. Short term side effects consisted of an easily treated headache immediately afterwards. The benefit seemed to last a few months with a gradual decline afterwards, prompting further courses. As I received more treatments it became apparent that it was having a not insignificant impact on my memory and more worryingly my cognitive abilities. These side effects are not unusual and have reached a degree where further treatments would be inadvisable. I’m currently exploring tDCS as an alternative as the first approved consumer unit has been released recently in the UK.

Return to “Information Exchange”