Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Need advice - anybody here tried TMS or ECT for their depression?

Ask, explore, query, share
sasom

Need advice - anybody here tried TMS or ECT for their depression?

Postby sasom » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 am

I've been fighting my depression and anxiety for the better part of 16 years now. It took a lot of energy just to keep my head above water and around 2 years ago I finally came to the conclusion, that I need professional help.

I found a therapist, went over some changes and managed to "reprogram" my brain a bit, so things have been better since.

A few of the changes I made in my life were also regular sports (3-4 times a week I run, ride my bike, go hiking...), changing my diet (cut out milk and meat) and started cooking more healthy and also started meditating. The meditation part takes the most effort, since I never really believed in all that "hocus pocus", but after reading a nice study https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/how-meditation-helps-with-depression I gave it a go... It's a slow process, but I feel the effects daily.

I'm afraid that I will find my mind slipping again, I did speak to some close friends about that. One of them has/had severe depression and was on pills for a number of years as well. He mentioned that there are relatively new (science backed) ways that can help with a lot of depression symptoms - called Transcarnial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS for short). You basically get a helmet on your head, they run the process and after a while, you should be reprogrammed.

I did read about eletroconvulsive therapy a few years back and it really didn't seem that appealing to me, but I really want to find a way to "permanently" get these things out of my head.

I found a nice article comparing both TMS and ECT https://successtms.com/blog/tms-vs-ect and given what my friend told me, I'm leaning towards trying TMS therapy. It does look scary, but jumping into the unknown is what makes us grow - at least that's what I'd like to think.

Do any of you have first-hand experience with this? Any feedback will be appreciated

Return to “Information Exchange”