Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Coloring books for adults: we asked therapists for their opinions

Ask, explore, query, share
ooby

Coloring books for adults: we asked therapists for their opinions

Postby ooby » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 am

Debra Dettone, a 52-year-old preschool teacher who lives in Harrison, Ohio, was having some anxiety over her job recently. Her doctor was concerned about her blood pressure. This week, she went back and got some good news: an improved reading of 120/84.

“[My doctor] said, ‘What are you doing?’ and I said, ‘A little bit of walking and I color at night,’” said Dettone over the phone, outing herself as an adherent of a suddenly trendy hobby – adult coloring.

“To unwind at night, that’s what I do,” Dettone said. “I’ll sit down for an hour or so and color a notecard or color a mandala or whatever. It helps me. It relaxes me. So I can go to sleep and start the next day.”

Chances are you’ve already heard it’s the year of the adult coloring book. Publications have touted the books’ ability to help adults “de-stress and self-express”. Coloring has been said to be able to help you achieve mindfulness, banish anxiety, and even deal with trauma. Some of the books explicitly label themselves as “art therapy.”

Is this trend as great as it’s cracked up to be? We asked some professionals.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... s-opinions

Return to “Information Exchange”