Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

EMDR query

Ask, explore, query, share
vitafragilis

EMDR query

Postby vitafragilis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm scheduled to begin EMDR in a few weeks time. Or at least the preparation stage. However, I'm really worried about it and would like to benefit from anyone's experiences.
The therapist tells me that the EMDR will process the trauma memories so that they don't give me such strong/overwhelming emotions any more. That sounds good...but I'm still worried. You see, my partner died a few years ago and it nearly destroyed me. I still have nightmares and flashbacks about it. I'm worried that dealing with it with EMDR will mean I no longer feel anything about what happened. I don't want that. Maybe it sounds crazy, but I WANT to feel distressed when I think of him because it means I loved/love him. It doesn't seem right to walk away from that emotion.
Can anyone tell me if this is what will happen?
When I feel I can't endure, I remind myself that my record for getting through bad days so far is 100%, and that's pretty good.

acorn

Re: EMDR query

Postby acorn » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Hello vitafragalis

I cannot garentee anything but I can tell you that Emdr is about processing the memories and making peace with them so they no longer torment you. I don't think it will numb your feelings completely because that actually would be counter productive however I do think the extremity will lessen if that makes sense. You don't need to have nightmares and flashbacks to have loved somebody and you aren't betraying him by moving on. You will still have your feelings about it, feel sad he is gone and know you loved him dearly. It simply won't be taking over your life anymore.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

Return to “Information Exchange”