Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Compulsory shift system.

Ask, explore, query, share
stressed

Compulsory shift system.

Postby stressed » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:45 am

Morning All!
I have been employed at the same place for many years.
Although my job is stressful, generally I am lucky enough to enjoy it, and I find it gives me much satisfaction.
I have chronic depression, and my GP and Occy Health believe probably SAD.
Currently I am managing these well with a combination of anti-depressants, light box and generally communicating well with others.
I am very much better than I was this time last year :)
Basically I am feeling like I am finally getting back on track :)

Now it seems like that all that is about to be shattered, :shock:

Up until now...I have found working normal 9:00-17:30 Mon-Fri suits me just fine, and it also benefits my employer because I tend to know what been happening more on a day to day basis rather than my shift working colleauges.

From next year I am very corncerned that I am going to be forced into working a shift system, that I honestly believe is going to be disasterous to my mental health and well-being.
My employer's say they will look into exceptions, however I know that at other sites..employees have been told. If you can't work the shifts, you're not fit to work!

Just sat here typing this is making me extremely anxious.

I have only just got my sleep pattern back to normal. I am sure that working shifts will completely mess it up.

I am anxious at the best of times...I really don't think I can cope with the worry of leaving/arriving at work in the middle of the night and waiting for buses in the dark hours of early morning.

Basically I want to know, does anyone know where I stand on this?
I guess I should get some sound legal advice, but am worried about the financial cost...and also that it will get my employers backs up if they find out this is the route i'm going down.

I'm not interested in any financial gain, I do honestly want to do my fair share of work. But I don't want to go back to the hell-hole of depression, if it can all be avoided by just doing what i'm already doing now? :? Thanks.

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Re: Compulsory shift system.

Postby judithj » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:53 am

your employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments because of your mental health: if your GP and occupational health think shifts would risk making this worse, then allowing you to work regular hours would be reasonable. it's worth digging out a copy of your contract of employment to see what that says about your working hours, hugs, Judith xxx

stressed

Postby stressed » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks, i'm really worried about this.

It will be difficult to get to see my original contract, and to be honest I think the plan is to get us all to sign new contracts.

Kinda shape up, or ship out, sort of thing.

I don't think I will be allowed to continue working regular hours, maybe I should offer a compromise.

It's taken a long time for work to take me seriously... I don't want to have to ask for exceptions. I want to be able to cope, but I don't think I will be able to with these new hours.

My partner has started working these shifts, and I have already noticed that it is affecting my routines.

I don't even want to think about it...but I know I need to keep strong x

loobyloo82

Postby loobyloo82 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Do you have a union or something you can ask for advice?
Its a bit sneaky if they are trying to force you all to sign new contracts. If you don't have a union perhaps citizens advise or someone could help?

Sorry I have nothing positive to offer. It sounds like a horrid situation to be in and I too would be really worried.
Im working shifts at the moment and it plays havoc with my sleep which messes up my moods although once you get used to them they do get easier and become less tiring. And there are some advantages like having the chance to lie in in the morning sometimes - but again that depends on the shifts and the pattern they want you to work - have they defined the shift patterns yet?
If its everyone they're trying to get everyone to sign new contracts they might be able to get away with it, but if its just you it would definitely fall under disability discrimination.

BlackRose

Postby BlackRose » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Definitely raise your concerns with occupational health. I worked in a call centre with shift and they changed my hours to regular 9-5. It should be classed as reasonable adjustment. Your employer has a duty of care. Good luck.
[b]"The way the rain comes down hard that's how I feel inside" (Lyric of a favourite song puts into words how I feel)
BlackRose XXX
[/b]

stressed

Postby stressed » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Thank you for your responses, believe me they are helpful!

I am getting more stressed, worried, sleepy yet irratible at work.

My colleagues who mean well, try and placate me...with "don't worry" and "worrying won't help".

I feel ungrateful for their kind words, to be honest, I find them frustrating..and hollow.

If I could stop worrying, I would. If I could choose not to be depressed, I would.

At least on here, it feels less like sympathy..and more like if you were in my shoes, you might be worried too. Sorry, if i've not explained that very well.

I feel rather than trying not to worry about this change, which is going to happen. I need to face it, get my head round it, find out the facts and deal with it as best I can.

Thanks for at least giving me some ideas, suggestions, pointers where to start...
I do want to focus on the positives...like possibly freeing up some mornings..
Bringing a bit more variety to my work life...
But I need to balance the pros against my health.

Right time to get some sleep, so that i'm not too narky in the morning x

loobyloo82

Postby loobyloo82 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Can I ask - have they explicitly told you that you are going to have to start working shifts, or is it something you're anticipating?

I know with my anxiety I can get worked up about something and then find it was never going to happen anyway.

Do you work for a big company or a little one? (I only ask as it affects the facilities they can offer you like occy health etc).

Im not trying to belittle your fears, I too would be getting anxious about it, I'm just wondering what has actually been said to you.
xx

stressed

Postby stressed » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 am

I think I was getting myself worked-up.

I admitted that I was feeling worked-up and worried, so I had someone go through what the likely implications for me would be.

We are a large group of people, all with our own different lives. :)

When I was thinking in panic mode, I could only see it as a one size fits all solution.

Whereas now I can see more flexability, for example it is likely I could buddy up with another colleague who wanted to work only lates and I could do all the earlies.

I was really anxious about the late working, but now I can see that the new shift system could actually be very beneficial for me.

As a bit of a lark, I wouldn't mind getting up and going to work early.
I'm much more alert in the morning, so it would benefit my employer as they would get me at my best.

Then I would be allowed to finish early which would be good for catching some sunshine,going shopping, running errands ect. Which I currently struggle to fit in to the working week.

The shift system will be implimented, probably later than first anticipated..but at least now I am feeling a whole lot better about it.

Sorry 'bout the long post, I just wanted to give you guys an update...and
thank you for supporting me through what has been a very stressfull time x

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:09 pm

it's good that you've been able to go through what it will mean for you, and that it seems likely that you can work a shift that suits you, hugs, judith xxx

Return to “Information Exchange”