Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

work experience on benefits:

Ask, explore, query, share
judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

work experience on benefits:

Postby judithj » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Grayling seems to keep changing his mind on whether this is mandatory or not:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... NETTXT9038

However, If you're sent onto one of these schemes, remember to state up front that if you are to do any work, it is to be charged for. And if you're there against your will and under menace of a benefit sanction, then anyone who puts you to work commits a criminal offence under the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 s72:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/71

Slavery, servitude and forced or compulsory labour(1)A person (D) commits an offence if—
(a)D holds another person in slavery or servitude and the circumstances are such that D knows or ought to know that the person is so held, or
(b)D requires another person to perform forced or compulsory labour and the circumstances are such that D knows or ought to know that the person is being required to perform such labour.
(2)In subsection (1) the references to holding a person in slavery or servitude or requiring a person to perform forced or compulsory labour are to be construed in accordance with Article 4 of the Human Rights Convention (which prohibits a person from being held in slavery or servitude or being required to perform forced or compulsory labour).
(3)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable—
(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding the relevant period or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or both;
(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or a fine, or both.

hugs, Judith xxx

Kuruneko

Re: work experience on benefits:

Postby Kuruneko » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Fantastic info there, my daughter has just been `signed up` to one of these labour camps, er sorry, schemes. Nothing to do at all with what she wants to do a career in, but has been threatened with a benefit cut if she does not participate for 6 months.

She is not anti work but wants to learn some skills that will aid her in a career, not how to pick up litter and wipe away graffiti.....!
"All the promises I made, just to let you down, you believed in me but I`m broken. I have nothing left and all I feel is this cruel wanting" -lost in paradise [Evanessence]

Return to “Information Exchange”