Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

generic meds

Ask, explore, query, share
judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

generic meds

Postby judithj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

does anyone know if generic meds, particularly generic venlafaxine, is as effective as branded venlafaxine. i usually have Viepax XL, but the last ones i got, which i started on about a week ago are generic venlafaxine, extended release. trouble is i'm getting brain zaps which indicate it's wearing off more quickly and i'm feeling really crap. no chance of getting a doctor's appointment any time soon. are generics really the same as the branded meds? hugs xxx

Avalon

Re: generic meds

Postby Avalon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Yes they are. For sure x

oobat

Postby oobat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Yes, definately!

oobydoobie

Postby oobydoobie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 pm

My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:14 pm

thanks, oobie - will read it tomorrow but need to get to bed now, hugs, xxx

oobydoobie

Postby oobydoobie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Sleep tight.Pleasant dreams.
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.

judithj

Postby judithj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:20 pm

i doubt it - probably get my nightmare of being at DWP again, hugs, Judith xxx

belle

Postby belle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Judith.

I take venlafaxine but I don't know the answer (sorry), although I always have to have the slow release version.

I do know my friend with epilepsy has a constant battle between generics and brands, and must definately only take one sort - but I'm so stressed I can't remember which way round it is - but it makes a very significant difference to her. However, I appreciate it's not the same type of med.

If it would help you could ask NHS Direct for clarification or phone up your pharmacy perhaps?

Take care.
xx

deadchick07

Postby deadchick07 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:27 pm

generics are not the same. With lithium, you HAVE to stick to the same brand or it can get dangerous.

maybe venlafaxine is the same?
I'm not mad, I'm furious

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Kuruneko

Postby Kuruneko » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:18 am

I tend to say that different manufacturers have different methods of production, meaning that although the drug they produce is venlafaxine, two different manufacturers will undoubtedly have differing additives and production methods,

I suffered quite bad with `yellow` risperidone 3mg tablets, so much I was nearly hospitalised, dr adviesd to change the tablet to generic `white` one, all the bad effects went away. It might have been the dye they used, but point is tablets DO differ from one manufacturer to another.

I really sympathise, as I suffer brain zaps, and in my opinion they are the worst kind of effects a drug can give you, mind tend to happen when I am really tired [which is 75% of the time] or are just dropping off to sleep, which scares the crap out of me... :roll:
"All the promises I made, just to let you down, you believed in me but I`m broken. I have nothing left and all I feel is this cruel wanting" -lost in paradise [Evanessence]

Return to “Information Exchange”