Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How do I support my husband?

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
max2020

How do I support my husband?

Postby max2020 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 pm

My husband has had really bad anxiety for since I met him, but he got a new job a few years ago which seems to have slightly helped as he really enjoyed the job. He has found out in the last few days that he is under investigation for a disciplinary matter which may result in criminal proceedings, for a genuine mistake that he made. He has been under so much pressure and stress at work that I’m not surprised he made this mistake, but now this has sent his anxiety into overdrive. He isn’t sleeping or talking to anyone, and is catastrophizing talking about losing the house and saying he will never be able to get a new job if he gets sacked or prosecuted. I just don’t know how to help him or what to say to make it better. I feel so helpless.

isola701

Re: How do I support my husband?

Postby isola701 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:41 am

wow that sounds very stressful, does he have any HR support at work to help him and make all his options available. He needs to try and stay calm even though he must be very worried. If he explains how he is feeling to work it might help them understand and maybe take it in account. As his partner you will be felling the burden as well as worrying too. Could you not re-assure him that whatever happens you are a team and will get through/face anything together?

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”