Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Looking for help for husband

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
kay42

Looking for help for husband

Postby kay42 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:08 am

Hello,
My husband has not been himself lately. He seems to be suffering from anxiety which has hit him out of the blue. More recently he has been experiencing “weird” feelings. He feels like he isn’t himself anymore. He says he hears a voice in his head. And when he thinks something the voice tells him it’s wrong. He received an email regarding an outstanding balance on a holiday we had booked. When he rang the company they said there was no outstanding balance and asked for the reference number on the email. When he went to retrieve the email, it wasn’t there! He thinks his brain made it up. This has made him worry immensely. He has been to the doctor and he has been prescribed propanalol and sertraline. The doctor has also referred him to see a psychiatrist. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing? I want to understand more so that I can support him as best I can. Thanks in advance.

luck

Re: Looking for help for husband

Postby luck » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi Kay

I'm also suffering with a depressed family member but I am sorry to hear about your struggles. Obviously I don't want to assume anything but my experience with sertraline is positive but be aware of the side effects as with any medicine. They can be extreme and cause anxiety.
I hope this helps
I just hope there is more I can do to help my own struggle as you seem to be doing. Any suggestion? All the best

prycejosh1987

Re: Looking for help for husband

Postby prycejosh1987 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:04 pm

kay42 wrote:Hello,
My husband has not been himself lately. He seems to be suffering from anxiety which has hit him out of the blue. More recently he has been experiencing “weird” feelings. He feels like he isn’t himself anymore. He says he hears a voice in his head. And when he thinks something the voice tells him it’s wrong. He received an email regarding an outstanding balance on a holiday we had booked. When he rang the company they said there was no outstanding balance and asked for the reference number on the email. When he went to retrieve the email, it wasn’t there! He thinks his brain made it up. This has made him worry immensely. He has been to the doctor and he has been prescribed propanalol and sertraline. The doctor has also referred him to see a psychiatrist. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing? I want to understand more so that I can support him as best I can. Thanks in advance.

It sounds more like depression then anxiety. The best thing to do is talk through with him the situations that make him "anxious" There is always a trigger to the underlying issues.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”