Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Advice needed to deal with partner

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
panda456

Advice needed to deal with partner

Postby panda456 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:30 am

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed with an episode of major psychotic depression 7 months ago. Completed out of the blue. Doctors said depression likely caused by major stress at work leading to a psychotic episode. He was in hospital for 2 weeks. Discharged with an antidepressant and antipsychotic medication. For a month after his discharge, he was anxious, wouldn’t step out of the house, had intermittent persecutory thoughts.

7 months later, he sees a counsellor every two weeks and is basically like his normal self. He left his job back in April
(Same time as the episode) and is now looking for a new job. He’s back to his usual self..., but still has underlying fixed delusions. He normally mentions it in a state of stress, eg if we have an argument otherwise he’s okay.

I guess I just need some advice. Has anyone else dealt with this? Will it ever resolve?

supportivewife

Re: Advice needed to deal with partner

Postby supportivewife » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Hi panda456,
I don't have any experience of supporting someone with depression as my husband has a Personality Disorder so am not best to advise, but just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear that he still suffers from this when stressed. Maybe he needs to speak to his GP to see if he requires different medication to alleviate the stress somewhat? I guess stress does bring a lot to the fore as I know with my husband he can experience delusional feelings at times and things seem worse usually when he starts an argument or is in a state of shouting at me.

Good to hear that on the whole, he is doing a lot better though and i wish you both well for the future. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I am sure other people with better experience of this than me will post. Best Wishes, Aileen.

zo-88

Re: Advice needed to deal with partner

Postby zo-88 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi yes i have first hand experience with this
My partner first got diagnosed wiyh the same thing as your partner back 8 years ago he had a cpn for a couple of years and everything was going ok but he has had a couple of blips were hes had to be sectioned a couple more times since its usually bad news i find that sends him over and he dosent take his medication as he feels hes 'ok'
So although it gets better than it was its always going to be with you it can be so hard x

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”