Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

mother in law and nice severely struggling depression

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
poppy1992

mother in law and nice severely struggling depression

Postby poppy1992 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello, I'm really struggling to help my partner (27) with his mum (46) and sister(17), i have struggled with anxiety but would say i'm managing it alright having been through CBT and take medication.

The deal with my to be mother in law and her daughter is that they live in a house that desperately needs tlc but they have no way of improving their situation. Financially my mother in law works three jobs because she has to pay a double mortgage.

I feels very worried that she may hurt her self as their situation has gotten worse recently with their only relative being admitted to hospital and her daughter potentially having to move out as they argue so much (but she has limited options of places to stay). She has also increased self medicating with cannabis multiple times though out the day. On top of this her daughter will rarely leave the house on her own as she also struggles with anxiety and depression. They have no other family and a close friend of theirs is moving away.

I believe they are both stuck in a thinking cycle of, this how they will always live and there is nothing anyone can do to help them. I know this is not true but at the moment it feels this way as it has been getting worse for approximately 3 years.

at the moment me and my partner have suggested talking therapies but the wait list is almost a year long. Also my partners sister is so worried about the way she feels she refuses to open up to a doctor or take medication because she feels it will make it worse and will hurt her self.

thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this and replied

supportivewife

Re: mother in law and nice severely struggling depression

Postby supportivewife » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Poppy 1992,
I was on the forum and saw that your post was unanswered. I am sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's and niece's current situation. It is good they have you and your partner to help them.

It does sound as though they are both really struggling with their separate issues. With regards to the TLC of their house, could they get help with this from social work if you gave them a call? Or maybe there would be some kind of grant/funding they could claim to do their house up? It maybe worthwhile speaking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau about this if social work can't help.

With regards to their own mental health, they do need to speak to their GP about this. If they won't go along, can you or your partner maybe either go along with them or speak to the GP on their behalf? Although this will depend upon if their GP will discuss them with you. Social services may also be able to help in involving the GP and CMHT.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but others on here maybe able to suggest something too. I hope things improve for them both anyway. Best wishes, Aileen.

poppy1992

Postby poppy1992 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:34 pm

thank you so much for taking the time to respond, we really appreciate it :)

gabs2020

Postby gabs2020 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 am

How was everything?

supportivewife

Postby supportivewife » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:37 pm

You are welcome, Poppy. I hope things improve for your family soon. Wishing you well. Aileen.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”