Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

My 13 year old has depression

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
mumof2

My 13 year old has depression

Postby mumof2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi I’ve never done this before so don’t have a clue on what I’m doing. My daughter turned 13 in October she has recently been diagnosed with depression but it only seems to be getting worse as she is to young for any medication she is on the waiting list for counselling she has also been referred cahms but don’t know how long the waiting list is she has been cutting herself and recently tried locking herself in the bathroom with a razor but I managed to get to her before she could do any harm to herself it took her dad to shout at her which I hated but that was the only way we could get her to open up to us a little bit she has recently been bullied online as well being told to go kill herself we ended up getting the police involved as it was getting to much for her and she was cutting herself more. We just don’t know what to do anymore she has a younger sister and I’m worried she’s going to feel left out as most of our attention is on her sister. We try so hard we are trying to give more structure to both our children but our eldest is fighting us all the time she has been violent towards me twice now. Any help would be much appreciated

mumof2

Re: My 13 year old has depression

Postby mumof2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Thank you for your message no the police do not do anything to help at all. We have got a cahms appointment coming up so I’m hoping they will be able to help her

pomegranate

Postby pomegranate » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:13 am

She might fight against you but you’re still there for her which is the important thing; and you’re getting all the right support in place. I can see why at this stage the police won’t be able to offer anything. Have you contacted camhs to update them on how your daughter is currently? They might not be able to offer a sooner appointment, but it’s worth a go-the information you give them will be helpful either way, and they might be able to offer some support in the meantime.
The main thing is that she has family who care for her; not all kids do. She might not show appreciation for it , but she probably knows it deep down. it doesn’t make it any easier as a parent to see your child suffer, but I’m sure your daughter will get better in time. Keep the faith xoxo

prycejosh1987

Postby prycejosh1987 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:07 pm

mumof2 wrote:Hi I’ve never done this before so don’t have a clue on what I’m doing. My daughter turned 13 in October she has recently been diagnosed with depression but it only seems to be getting worse as she is to young for any medication she is on the waiting list for counselling she has also been referred cahms but don’t know how long the waiting list is she has been cutting herself and recently tried locking herself in the bathroom with a razor but I managed to get to her before she could do any harm to herself it took her dad to shout at her which I hated but that was the only way we could get her to open up to us a little bit she has recently been bullied online as well being told to go kill herself we ended up getting the police involved as it was getting to much for her and she was cutting herself more. We just don’t know what to do anymore she has a younger sister and I’m worried she’s going to feel left out as most of our attention is on her sister. We try so hard we are trying to give more structure to both our children but our eldest is fighting us all the time she has been violent towards me twice now. Any help would be much appreciated

If your daughter is still cutting herself then get her some support and also help her see sense. People online do not know people they contact completely. I don know you and you dont know me. You need to explain this to your child, and encourage her to be stronger minded. Online buillies are just dragons that breathe, they cannot even breathe fire, they just breathe and smoke comes out. Good luck.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”