Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Support groups for partners?

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
madmunch

Support groups for partners?

Postby madmunch » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 am

Hi. My partner lives in America and has depression. I am trying to find a support group for partners. I feel like I am failing. As someone who always tries to find a fix to problems, being unable to make her 'happy' or cure her depression leads me to feel angry and frustrated. I want so much to be there for her yet I feel I am unable to find the right way to do this. Currently we are unable to get back to see each other, so I am desperate to find a way to be supportive without being physically in her company.

I don't want tot lose her but I feel like i have pushed her away and am so remorseful. I want to learn coping strategies and how I can be supportive. Having seen some online forums, I have found other partners ho have said they take their partners depression as a form of rejection when the partner is in a bad place. I know its not personal, but sometimes its hard and I want to make the effort to understand what I can do for her to let her know I am there. I don't think I am alone in the way I feel. I love her and just want to understand her depression. Are there any groups I can go to? Can anyone point me in the right direction or even a phone call or online place? Thank you in advance

prycejosh1987

Re: Support groups for partners?

Postby prycejosh1987 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Try counselling or therapy. Good luck.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”