Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Husband with suspected depression and alcohol misuse

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
rosie87

Husband with suspected depression and alcohol misuse

Postby rosie87 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi all I’m new so sorry for the long post. My husband can be the most caring, funny and intelligent men you’ve met. Over the last year he’s started to become more isolated within himself, preferring to stay at home in evenings , not really talking to his family and refusing to go do things. He hasn’t seemed happy for a long time now , and I’ve long suspected he has depression. He refuses to go to the dr. As a consequence he drinks heavily in order to make himself forget his feelings. I have done everything I can to support him , and I am now at a complete loss as to what to do. He shouts at me and takes his frustration and emotion out on me. I have been speaking to a counsellor for his alcohol use , however I now think if we focus on his suspected depression it may help his drinking. Just want some opinions or any advice as I really am struggling so terribly . Thanks in advance

simonsanenow

Re: Husband with suspected depression and alcohol misuse

Postby simonsanenow » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi Rosie,
All will be fine! How long have you been married? Kids? What does hubbie do for a living? Stressed at work? Try not to mention the alcohol, it hides other symptoms. Try and get him to visit his GP; he must know he's not right. Be supportive and nonjudgmental ( I know you will need a patience of a Saint), hang in there Rosie, give him some time and help

rsxo

Re: Husband with suspected depression and alcohol misuse

Postby rsxo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:15 am

Welcome!x
RSxo <3

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”