Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Early Intervention NHS disappointing

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
jquinn

Early Intervention NHS disappointing

Postby jquinn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Last edited by jquinn on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

supportivewife

Re: Early Intervention NHS disappointing

Postby supportivewife » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi jquinn,

I'm sorry that your friend's son is going through such a difficult time and hasn't had the best experience of their CMHT. I too have witnessed this with the CMHT who visited my husband last year. They visited him twice, the first CPN and junior doctor seemed totally uninterested in his problems and ended up just making him feel worse. We then complained and a more senior CPN and Consultant came out to see my husband and he was diagnosed at that point with Mixed Personality Disorder and given medication which in the end, he stopped taking. Since then I have spoken to the GP regarding my husband's mental health issues and she is supportive to a point. However, he too has been to hospital where the Crisis Team checked him over and sent him home after things came to a head before Christmas. Since then the CMHT have shown no interest in my husband and are aware of how bad his mental health can be. So I sympathise with you and your friend as you would think that CMHT would be more in tune to patients. Simply asking someone if they are ok and just leaving things at that is not acceptable so I can appreciate your concerns. I don't know if it is simply down to pressure of the number of patients that they have in their care or there is not enough money and resources invested into mental health, but I don't have the best impression of CMHT either. I wish your friend's son all the best.

jquinn

Re: Early Intervention NHS disappointing

Postby jquinn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:50 am

Thank you for your reply. I hope you are able to get the right support eventually.
I also got the impression that they were thinking about their funding as well, but I would rather they just told us that. The truth is always best. I also think there is some class prejudice involved here too. My friend lives in what is ostensibly a wealthy area, and is a well spoken and educated person. I think the team believe she is rich enough to get private healthcare for her son so are not supporting him as they should. The psychiatrist said he needed 'urgent' therapy, but then said their was a 6 month waiting list. She was clearly expecting my friend to just say she would pay for it. Unfortunately she is not wealthy, but they have clearly made that judgement.
Sorry for rant but thank you for reading.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”