Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Living with HPD

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
beach

Re: Living with HPD

Postby beach » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having troubles. If you have a mental health diagnosis you should be able to get help with the essentials like water, heating and phone. For example, you can get a warm home discount on your electricity. The water board may give you a reduced rate if you explain you are struggling. There is advice out there, Shelter are very good, and the website moneysavingexpert had a specific section on mental illness and debt, by the mental health and policy institute.

Um, what else... I had problems with debt a few years ago after a manic episode, and it really throws you sideways over the winter. I wore a hat 24/7, because that is where your heat goes... up and out. Also fingerless gloves. And, I lived in the library a lot which helps with the isolation and the cold. I used to take a big flask of tea.

It costs a lot to get a phoneline reconnected, so think twice before cancelling it. If you aren't tied in to a contract perhaps you could switch. Try looking at topcashback or quidco, they have good deals with sky and plusnet. BT do a basic line.

Or I guess you could get a good mobile phone tariff - something to keep you connected. Wont be long before we all get rid of our landlines I guess!

Sorry to hear that your trust has been trampled on again. It sounds like you would rather that than one the one doing the trampling! That is something very good :). And not so common in this world it seems at times.

Are you able to do anything to take your mind off things? Watch tv, treat yourself to popcorn, have a hot bath with lavender, pick up a page turner of a book?

I live alone also, and get very lonely at times. I will google loneliness then to remind myself that many people are also lonely, and so we are lonely together - which kind of cancels it out a bit :)

All the very best to you, beach xx

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 am

Thatmks for all your replies again. I'venever been in debt, can't handle money - unless it's just small amounts for buying food etc. This is whay I so desperately need support from someone who won't steal all I have. I'm sorry, but I don't undersatnd the ins and outs of bills, contracts, tariffs, reconnections, etc. My mind just can't cope with stuff like that. I just thought that doing away with phones would save money. I would miss the internet too and this forum, but I have over a thousand Youtube videos stored on here, and loads of books to read. I'm still waiting to hear from Women's Aid who sounded as if they could do something. I stayed in Saturday and Sunday, and only ventured oyt for 2 minutes to feed the birds. Often when I stay in even just for one day I have difficulty leaving the front gate on the next day. The more I stay in, the more agoraphobic I become. Anyway, I waited in yesterday for promised phone calls that never materialised (HNS, police, Women's Aid), but today I must get out to see someone at that drop-in centre. I see him every Tuesday, and he's a very good listener and understands my problems. He's expecting me, so I force myself to leave that gate and walk to the bus stop because I hate letting people down. Also it's warm in there and I can linger around and see if anyone I know turns up. Here it's icy cold and I have to keep a coat and scarf on even in bed. My fingers are like ice and I'll be putting gloves back on soon. The sickness seems to be wearing off now, but my mind's in a mess still.

By the way, I can't have a hot lavender bath (no hot water), or watch TV (no TV) but I do like popcorn, so I might buy some today and come back to watch Youtube. :)

amaya

Postby amaya » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 am

Why don't you have hot water and heating at the moment?
If the phone calls you are expecting don't come today then maybe call them all yourself tomorrow?

It sounds like you could use a support worker to help with organising bills and things. I had one when I moved here to live alone because things in Holland work a little differently financially and it really helped.

beach

Postby beach » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Im sorry, I dont have tv either, but do have a bath which I use once a week with lavender oil. I also put it on bed at night which helps. Hope I haven't offended you. No-one is perfect beach x

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi mihaela

Sorry I haven't been in touch, hectic and challenging times at the moment and when I do have both free time and energy it is usually past your bedtime.

Hope all as good as it can be. Speak soon.
ATTMP

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:36 am

Thanks PmTaT, I'm in a bad way too. Yesterday I felt I was going out of my mind. She's been ringing and texting me. Talking of my sleep patterns, they're worse than ever. As you can see I'm up and awake now. Every morning I wake at around 1.30 feeling ready to get up. I went to bed at 7 last night. The cold is hard to bear. I've only taken my gloves off to use this forum.

I'll leave this fridge at 9.30 when I can get free bus & train journeys. I hope to go to that drop-in centre, and take this thing with me - just to keep warm. A friend has offered to help me with all my money problems. She went through loads of post the other day, and today we'll be making ots of phone calls. All this because I've been twice defrauded because I'm too trusting. I can't see the end in sight. Horrible! :cry:

Thinking of you. I understand how hard it must be. x

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”