Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Carer scared to take medication

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
tezy13

Carer scared to take medication

Postby tezy13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi I'm new here and a full time carer for my son who has terrible behavior problems which I struggle with ..I've been on lots of different types of anti depressants most of which came with more side effects than I could handle as I need to be very switched on to look after him and my other 2 children (lone parent) I have no family support what so ever and I'm feeling very vulnerable right now I suppose being honest I cant cope anymore been doing this for over 6 years ..my stress levels are at a all time high I hurt all over my 11 year old son had now been found using drugs I've tried everything ..cahms councilling and other courses to help him ..I'm loosing the will to try please any help x

deb1960

Re: Carer scared to take medication

Postby deb1960 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 am

This all sounds awful. Are there any carers groups in your area. In England and Wales the charity MIND have centres in various places. It would be worth giving them a call.

Deb x x

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi there

You definitely need support of some kind. Your GP should be able to put you in contact with local support groups. Don't be shy about calling the Samaritans for informal advice.

Isap x

tezy13

Postby tezy13 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks for reply..I'm going to look online at mind and have been to gp and had councilling but they say my depression is more circumstantial so untill things change at home they can't really benefit me trouble is things won't change at home I'm just so tired and if it makes any sense to tired too push for help ! I've even called social services on myself they say my kids are not at risk so I said no but I am !! They didn't seem concerned x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:13 am

Let us know how you get on and take care.

Deb x

rahul

Friendship Day

Postby rahul » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:51 am

There is not much literature on Friendship Day history as we celebrate today. However, there are numerous folktales and several instance in

mythological legends that shows that friends and friendship have been valued since the beginning of civilized world. As an intrinsically social

creature, men love to make friends to further this process of socialization.
Considering the valuable role friends play in our life it was deemed to fit to have a day dedicated to friends and friendship. The United States

Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an

annual event. The noble idea of honoring the beautiful relationship of friendship caught on with the people and soon Friendship Day became a hugely

popular festival.

torrentbajrangi

Postby torrentbajrangi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Post removed by moderating team

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:19 pm

SPAM!!! GO AWAY!!! :x

lucym

Postby lucym » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 am

Hi tezy,

I just wanted to let you know I read your message and that all sounds really hard. I know you say the docs are telling you your depression is situational and they can't help until that changes, but of course, if you're in a situation that you can't change easily, that doesn't mean there's nothing that can be done.
You still need to be able to cope with the situation and it's not just going to go away. So I supposed the reason I'm replying is just to ask, how are you? Have you thought of their ways you can look after yourself?
Treating feelings of depression doesn't always mean looking for drugs to help or he advice of doctors. Sometimes it's just doing an activity you enjoy, going for a coffee with a friend or making your favourite dinner. That probably all sounds obvious so I'm sorry if that's at all condescending, it's not meant that way. And of course it doesn't deal with the situation with your son. I really hope the advice given above about mind and samaritans helps. I know Sane also has a helpline (open on the evenings). Have you thought about going to a councillor for yourself? Or perhaps family therapy? It may help your son to realise the impact this is having on you? Remember you matter too, and you need to have boundaries so you can find the strength to carry on.

Also, know you're not alone. There's lots of us going through difficult, draining and emotional situations with our families, partners, friends on here and writing in these forums really helps (I know it helps me and I'm at breaking point right now- honestly I feel like life is just passing me by and there's nothing I can do to help).
Cheers x

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi tezy13,

I really admire you for trying to shoulder so many responsibilities. Being a parent is hard enough, but to fight mental health issues at the same time makes it a massive task. And finding out that your son uses drugs would've been so painful to hear. And yet you keep on marching. That deserves so much respect for the effort you've put in!

But I'm glad you've realised that you don't have to do this alone. Support is on hand, whether that's Samaritans (someone to talk to), Mind (for MH support), Therapy/Counselling, or mental health support forums like here. We're here for youx

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”