Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Depression/ attention seeking

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
Bison

Depression/ attention seeking

Postby Bison » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Difficult one this, it's my mom that is my worry at the moment. She has suffered from depression on and off over the years but now she is getting worse, the problem as such is no longer the depression. She always visits the doctor , the accident and emergency department , calling the crisis team and self admitting to local psychiatric centres. She has become a real hypochondriac , and it sounds a horrible thing to say about your own mother but also becoming a real attention seeker. One minute she is gravely ill and if you don't respond to her all of a sudden becomes almost 'normal'again

The times I have dropped everything to rush her to hospital only to realise she is faking again, now it's turning to I want to kill myself, I want to hurt somebody, again I think there are really issues but not the ones she thinks there are. Again she is a hypochondriac she fakes so much illness and anxieties. Gladly I have spoken to many other family members even her gp who actually all agree with me, however her gp stopped short on what can we do about it. The point has come when even the local psychiatric centre no longer take her seriously.

I Genuinley don't know what to do with her anymore, anyone come across this before or have ideas, I have tried talking to her before, she lasted a week before she started back to her old ways. Sorry for rambling help would be appreciated :)

Avalon

Re: Depression/ attention seeking

Postby Avalon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:19 pm

As difficult as it much be for you as her daughter I'm sure that your mum is "unwell" mentally or emotionally. A healthy person wouldn't be behaving in such a way. It's sad that no one has offered to work with her and discover the root of her problem, rather just dismiss her as having some attention seeking behaviours. has she had any in depth assessment?

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”