Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Coming off antidepressants

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
sugarboots

Coming off antidepressants

Postby sugarboots » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi,
I've recently joined this site because I live alone and I just want to talk about what's happening to me to people who get it.

I've been on Sertraline for 5 years now and they worked so, so well. Amazingly in fact. But my dr and I agreed that I'm in a very good place and could come off them, plus I was starting to get the symptoms of serotonin syndrome.
So I weaned myself off the pills 50mg every 3 weeks and it's been almost a month since I've been off them completely!
I'm fine, depression wise, I think; theres no numbness or that wonderful dark shadow we all know and love.
However I feel like I've gone from being Spock for 5 years to being Spongebob Squarepants and it's A LOT; my sense of humour is back and I'm laughing till my sides hurt more than I've been able to since starting sertraline, but I'm also crying at absolutely everything!
I watched Jumanji: welcome to the jungle just now and I burst into tears several times throughout the film, and this isn't the first time I've seen it, and it wasn't even at the 'sad' parts it was just when situations got mildly intense or exciting.
I'm crying at images and videos of cute things, crying at random tiktoks, I cried while playing borderlands 2 the other day!
My anger is also back in full swing and I get physically hot and even sweat with rage at stuff that used to only mildly irritate me.
And, weirdly, my disgust for things has gone up; like stuff that obviously isn't nice, like a kitchen bin, now disgusts me so much I don't even want to go in the room, and when I have to deal with it I get angry about it, which just isn't practical.

Its been 5 years since I've been able to feel this much, and while the depression seems to be at bay I feel like my anxiety is here in full force and it's just a bit overwhelming.
Do you think my emotions are going to be this extreme forever because its who I really am or is it still a side effect of coming off the antidepressants and it'll go away eventually and I can stop have a breakdown every 3 days or so?

I recently moved so I can't talk to my Dr anymore and I don't have the motivation to apply for the GP near me right now.
I really would just like the crying and the rage to calm down mostly; any tips?

albertinageller

Re: Coming off antidepressants

Postby albertinageller » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:34 am

Hello Sugarboots,

It is great to know that you come off from antidepressants. Anxiety, Insomnia, Headaches are the common symptoms that a person suffers from after quitting antidepressants. After quitting antidepressants these symptoms usually come within 5 days and they can last for up to 6 weeks. Some people have severe symptoms that last for several months or more. I would suggest that you should go to another GP.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”