Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

My friend commited suicide because of elefriends site

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
eeyore

My friend commited suicide because of elefriends site

Postby eeyore » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi I'm posting to say that my friend commited suicide after being part of the elefriends community which the charity mind runs. They left a very upsetting suicide note saying how cruel the people on elefriends were and they were bullied by others using the site. They also said the people running the site blocked them from getting help. It's a sad day for my friend and the family. Elefriends I hope they get to know what they have done. Rip my friend we will miss you. X

supportivewife

Re: My friend commited suicide because of elefriends site

Postby supportivewife » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi eeyore,

I am so sorry for your loss. This is tragic and certainly should not be allowed to happen on a mental health forum. I am thinking of you at this sad time and my condolences to your friend's family. Aileen. x

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:18 pm

Sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your friend's family. Thoughts are with youx
RSxo <3

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55 am

My friend was failed by services and as for that elefriends site and even this one these sites don't help people with mental illness. You join one of these sites tell complete strangers all about the mental illness you have and you never get better. I know one thing elefriends should be damn ashamed of the site that they have but at least my friend bless them are at peace now, and I myself are going to join them because I know what it's like to be on some site like this and also be failed. How does anyone think you can get help from sites like this and other ones when the services can't even listen to us. These sites are dangerous all of them and should all be taken down. Now I'm off to join my friend so I won't be on here no more. Goodbye.

minniemoo

Postby minniemoo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Hey Eeyore

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. This must be very hard for you to deal with.

Have you considered going to the press about this ? I think you are right that many people are failed by the services in place and it needs improving. I think research is growing about better ways to help people and in a few years I firmly believe we will have much better support but the more we can shout about how inadequate things are now the faster this might happen.

Years ago people died from AIDS and now there is so much more help, I do believe mental health provision will improve.

Please trust in how strongly you feel about this because you are right and people deserve better. Could you contact the paper and also write complaints to mind ? This site is not monitored by admins so they won’t know how unhappy you are with it.

Have you spoken to your therapist or anyone else since your friend died ? This is a huge thing to deal with and you deserve some support.

This site is not used much, Samaritans are probably much more responsive than here, have you ever called them?

Mm xx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”