Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Is this Rock Bottom?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Jamesuk

Is this Rock Bottom?

Postby Jamesuk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi Everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I’m not sure where to start but here goes...

I am 45 years old married male from the UK, back in 2013 I had a major mental break driven by health anxiety. I have a pre-teen autistic child, and run my own business. Over the last 12 months the pressure of life/work and my marriage have been taking an increased toll on my mental health. I have started on the antidepressants again, and which don’t seem to help at all? Hi he main cause of my issues is my marriage. My wife struggles with crippling anxiety and possible ocd, she is going through the early menopause and I really want to help her but I just feel useless as nothing I can say or do helps her. She won’t seek medical help or even address any issues with friends or family, she lets things build and build then lashes out at me. She says some really cruel things and frankly is horrible. I am scared of her and her mood is so unpredictable as the fear just builds. I am at the point when I often think of suicide as I can’t see this situation improving and I seem to just make matters worse for her. Is there anything I could do to be more supportive and help her through her darker moments? Has anyone else been through this? I am desperate for help, so any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

minniemoo

Re: Is this Rock Bottom?

Postby minniemoo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Hey it’s sounds like you’ve tried to help your wife and nothing will work? I’m no expert on menopause, maybe you could do some research or someone here can suggest ideas. Or perhaps you just need to set boundaries with her, let you know you are there for her but also that you won’t be mistreated.
You can definitely work on yourself and improve how you feel. You have a lot going on, you need to look after yourself. Who supports you? What do you do to relax? You can’t support your family financially, or be the dad your child needs if you are not taking care of yourself.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”