Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Post diagnosis Asperger's appointment

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
ooby

Post diagnosis Asperger's appointment

Postby ooby » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 am

The post diagnosis appointment on the 26th of last month.

It went better than expected. A lot of it focused on how executive functioning difficulties can affect us . Was given various support sheets which my stepdaughter is going to photocopy a few more of them ,and pin them in strategic places. I was given a Wiltshire I.C.E card(In case of emergency) and something to fill in for an Autism passport (useful if you go in hospital) . Was told I needed quite a lot of support , and would struggle to cope without it ,hence should check out advocacy services as a backup in case my stepdaughter gets ill.

There are no immediate social concerns , but due to my taking things very literally(at face value) , and difficulty reading people's intentions , I'm vulnerable re risk of exploitation by others .

ooby

Re: Post diagnosis Asperger's appointment

Postby ooby » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:28 pm

213 views and no response. Still I could be the person with 314 views and no response .

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 am

Hi Ooby!

Shame about the lack of responses, this place is quieter than ever.

Really glad you have your diagnosis. Shows how well you have coped over the years without all the recommended support. Well done you.

Take care of yourself.

ATTMP

ooby

Postby ooby » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 pm

I had a very supportive wife, and when she died I have a very supportive stepdaughter. Moving to be near her was a good move .

Being under a new mental health trust made a big difference . I was under my last one from 1975- 1984(in Wales from 1984-1988) and 1988-2017 , and not a sniff of a referral for Asperger's/autism .
I was self neglecting , but because I wasn't a danger to self/others, and not a public nuisance , I went under the radar.

After 1st session with a pdoc here a referral for an autism assessment was swiftly made.

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 am

MH services can be really good or really crap. I'm always in the position of being seen as functional because I hold down a job and am not a danger to others. Budgets push resource to other people.

I'm glad you are finally getting the medical care you deserve.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”