Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

The adverse effects of loneliness versus the adverse effects of social isolation?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
ooby

The adverse effects of loneliness versus the adverse effects of social isolation?

Postby ooby » Fri May 31, 2019 4:27 pm

It’s said that loneliness has an adverse effect on mental and physical health , but what about social isolation that may or may not involve feelings of loneliness?

I’ve always been quite asocial , and although less socially isolated due to the nearness of my stepfamily still have a smaller than average social network. I get bored with my own company at times rather than feeling particularly lonely

I would say that both can impact on well being. I was certainly functioning less well when more socially isolated even though feelings of loneliness weren’t that strong.

Opinions/thoughts/views welcomed.

hyster

Re: The adverse effects of loneliness versus the adverse effects of social isolation?

Postby hyster » Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 pm

my parents split when i was 10 as she was cheating, i went to live with her and the new BF.
long story short turns out i was in the way (i was in trouble for various minor crap) so i was permanently grounded for about 18 months.

the ONLY time i was aloud out of my bedroom was school, wash up and bathroom.
this was back in 83-84 where no tv, computer or what not in a bedroom, all i had was a few books which id read god knows how many times.

basically till this day (im 46) im WAY more comfortable alone, not knowing how to be around people, specially if more than 1 other, i tend to be quite and want to fade into the back ground.
i withdraw into my own head even today and in still considered anti-social even tho ive opened up some in the last 10 years im still more comfortable alone than around people i have learned to try to be social but at a great mental effort that i cant keep going for more than a few hours.

the only family that has been there for me really is my youngest step daughter but still when she has time / remembers

Return to “Mutual Support Group”