For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
bluebell123

Anyone remember Ooby

Postby bluebell123 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Missing Ooby, hope he's okay. Aisling.

christabel

Re: Anyone remember Ooby

Postby christabel » Mon May 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Yes ooby is a big miss on the forum and the info and links he would put on for us were great.

He was planning a move. Hope he is doing ok too Aisling.

bluebell123

Postby bluebell123 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Yep, miss him, he was a big character. Aisling

ooby

Postby ooby » Sun May 26, 2019 10:44 pm

I moved to Wiltshire to be near my youngest stepdaughter in September 2017. It was a good move as I had been struggling in Essex , with little support and being on autopilot when it came to the mental health services there. Basically I was struggling to maintain a 2 bedroom flat, my hygiene wasn't good, I was eating lots of takeaways.

My stepdaughter and her children have been a great support here. I'm getting help keeping my one bedroom flat clean. My stepdaughter comes to appointments with me, and takes me shopping.

I've had a care act assessment which I never had in Essex. That will be a yearly thing . Functioning wise I'm doing better thanks to the support I get. First psychiatrist appointment here in October 2018 the pdoc actually listened when I mentioned autism, something the mental health team in Essex glaringly failed to do. That resulted in a referral for an assessment in February of this year. After 3 assessments and doing the ADOS-2 I got the report saying I had the diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome on Monday. My stepdaughter was a great support throughout the whole process.

Had a scare a few weeks ago because of chest pains and the fact I was experiencing swollen legs and feet. Stepdaughter took me to the out of hours GP surgery and then I had to go to the bigger hospital for further tests . We were there for quite a long time while they did tests. All test results were ok and my risk for heart failure estimated as very low. It was diagnosed as being musculoskeletal pain. I had to go to a follow up appointment the next day. It's reckoned my feet and legs are due to being very sedentary. I'm trying to walk a bit more , but experience lower back pain- no doubt because I'm rather overweight.

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Mon May 27, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Ooby!

I rarely post beyond my own diary now but it is good to see your name, I always learned a lot from your posts.

I'm glad you have better MH support, it is such a postcode lottery. You are the forth or fifth person I can think of from here with long term MH issues who has had a late Aspergers diagnosis. A poster called Milhaela used to tell everyone they likely had autusm, I always thought that was obsessional but it appears she was right in a number of cases.

Re the back pain. Yep, I get that when been overweight and sedentary. A few long walks will sort it out.

Good luck with everything!

ATTMP

ooby

Postby ooby » Mon May 27, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks, I remember Milhaela. Does she still post here?

I think re MH support having family on side can make a big difference . My youngest stepdaughter did what she could while I was in Essex ,but it was not easy being 3 hours or so away from me.

Of course quality of MH support from services shouldn't be dependent on having family/stepfamily in your corner. I'm thinking of those who have neither .

caro

Postby caro » Mon May 27, 2019 8:37 pm

Hello ooby

So pleased you got your autism diagnosis.

I was diagnosed in my 40s. After years of being misunderstood, bullied and ridiculed, i finally had an answer. I have many mental health problems, mostly due to my aspergers.
No psychiatrist spotted it, despite displaying obvious signs in my many consultations.

I hope your diagnosis, and better mental health care, help you to navigate life.
Hold your head high. Autism makes life difficult sometimes, but knowledge and acceptance is key xx

ooby

Postby ooby » Tue May 28, 2019 1:34 am

Hi Caro,
It seems to be an all too common occurrence , unfortunately , that signs of being on the spectrum are not spotted till years after they should have been .

I am 62 , and have been a service user since late 1973.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:58 am

Hi Ooby

I've just seen this thread and delighted to hear all the good that's come from your move. I think I.
remember you saying you believed the move was the right thing but you were uptight about it.

Good mental health services should be available everywhere.

Btw Wiltshire is a county I love. Here i am, in central Scotland. It's tipping down with rain and pretty cold!

Deb x

ooby

Postby ooby » Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes-I was in full catastrophising mode about the move. My stepdaughter though insured everything went as smoothly as possible.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”