Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hospital

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Foggy1

Hospital

Postby Foggy1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi guys I am on leave having spent 8 weeks in hospital If things go ok i hope to be discharged in the early new year. This is my second admission this year. If i add up all the time that ihave been in hospital this year it would add up to 6 months (half a year)

It has been really tough for me suicidal intent, both visual and auditory delusions - absolute nightmare of a time.

I am married and such long admissions mean that my family is affected and a period of adjustment is required. It puts a strain on my wife when she learns of my suicidal intent. I had a nurse sitting next to me for weeks on end. I found this very suppressive but i accept tat they have a duty of care and this means they need to keep me safe. My suicidal intention was not a cry for help i was getting that- it was a genuine ideology i just 'wanted out' and given the chance i would have taken appropriate measures to bring this to fruition. My intentions were underpinned by the very nature of my illness. I have rapid cycling bi-polar which means i can have frequent stays in hospital. I told my pdoc it was the frequent admissions that i found stressful and exhausting. I said it was the,agains and the agains that give reason for me to simply give up.

Anyway, i feel so much better now and am enjoying life once again. Although my post is perhaps a little depressing i hope that it is also a message of hope that one can recover no matter how ill they might be.

I have decided to adopt a policy of acceptance of my illness and have come to terms that i will need further support either at home or in hospital at a future time. It is my hope this lessens the anguish when faced with these situations.

I would be glad if i got some replies to my post.

Best wishes
Foggy

maisi

Re: Hospital

Postby maisi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Foggy,

Tough year. I think your acceptance of the illness is fantastic- smart, brave, and will take at least a little pressure off, not fighting yourself on something that just is. That'll leave a little extra energy for managing the illness. I'm really tired, so this isn't a v detailed reply, but I felt the hope, and can apply that for me too, so it's helped me a bit. Sorry you and your family have been through the mill, rapid cycling bipolar sounds really tough- so little time to get your balance. But I'm so glad you've found a helpful way of seeing it all. Can chat more when my brain's not hurting?

:)

pauley

Postby pauley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:30 pm

I second all of that. Keep going.
Best wishes
Paul

dorian28

Postby dorian28 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:09 am

Hi Foggy

I'm scared I'll be hospitalised for my illness at some point, possibly even in the near future as things are going pretty badly for me. It's been a fear of mine for a long time, especially when I can feel my sanity being stretched. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about what it's like? I mean, obviously everyone's experience of it will differ, but in general. Whatever you'd feel comfortable sharing.

Thanks in advafor your candour.

Dorian

Return to “Mutual Support Group”