Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

I cut myself again.

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
nowitmakesense

I cut myself again.

Postby nowitmakesense » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

Last night i drank 3 bottles of wine and had some mdma. I was angry at some point for some reason and with out even thinking i had cut my arm 5 times.
My wife is dissaponted in me for doin it again after 3 years.
I feel so low and now i have upset my wife again.

Counciling wont start untill next year

What can i do?

maisi

Re: I cut myself again.

Postby maisi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:46 pm

I really don't know how to help, but I want to say hi and I'm sorry you're going through this. these are my ideas
- forgive yourself for being overwhelmed and then cutting yourself.
- really look for alternatives now, so that next time things are starting to get that way you have other things to try. Google 'help with self harm' or something like that?
- let your wife comfort you
- phone samaritans whenever you feel like it
- next year isn't so far off, hopefully not long for you to wait to get some support

xxx

dorian28

Re: I cut myself again.

Postby dorian28 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 am

Hi nowitmakes sense.

I understand how you feel. I started cutting as a teenager, and other than a few rough patches along the way managed to stop for years. But I've recently started again. I understand what you're saying about feeling low and disappointed afterwards (either in yourself or that you've let someone close to you down). I don't know how much help this will be, but here are a few suggestions my doctor gave me to try as an alternative to cutting.

His first suggestion was to use ice. It creates a sensation of pain but doesn't break the skin. His second suggestion was to ping elastic bands around your wrist. I personally find this one more useful than the ice. It give both the pain and a red mark after a while. It doesn't usually make the urge go away entirely but it sometimes lessens it to a more manageable level. His third option was to draw lines on your body, wherever you'd cut yourself, in red pen. This theoretically gives the illusion of a wound but again does no damage. There are also apps such as distrACT that you can download for free. It offers a range of ways to try to distract you until the urge to self harm passes. It might be worth a try?

I hope you find this helpful, I wish I could offer more.

Dorian

Return to “Mutual Support Group”