Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Guess whos writing a book!!!

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
sirhugo

Re: Guess whos writing a book!!!

Postby sirhugo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:08 pm

all comments are welcome maisi :D

I know what you mean, but its an auto biography, so its opinion based. you are always going to upset someone regardless of what you say in this PC world

theres a good chance I will always upset people with loyalty towards call centres :lol:

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:23 pm

warning, this is quite an angry chapter. rest assured its not aimed at any of you. I love you guys :D

Chapter 4 – Rocket Science

I’m take a break from describing my work hell, to discuss an important side note. I’m going to ask you all a question

Why won’t all you selfish pricks help someone in need?

I asked myself many times that day in work. Are these people so self-involved that they didn’t notice my pain? Or was it that they did notice and they just didn’t give a fuck? To be honest I don’t know which of these is worse

If someone had just came up to that day, put a hand on my shoulder and simply asked “are you ok?” I would have felt a hundred times better. I would have been touched, and I would have felt better knowing that there’s was someone in the world who cared. Unfortunately, it seems like basic human decency has gone out the window

Recently, I decided to sign up for a mental health awareness course at college. I figured it would give me something to do with my days, I would meet like-minded people and learn something about my condition. It seemed like a winner on paper. However the reality was different.

The course was a disorganised rabble. There are security guards everywhere constantly hounding you if you don't have your security pass. The course itself is deathly dull and is nothing I don’t already know. But the worst part is what happened on my first day.

They started talking about communication difficulties and isolation. Being very familiar with this, it hit home and my mood spiralled downwards. By break time I was literally standing banging my head off a wall trying to control myself. My classmate’s response to this? None. They walked right past laughing and joking. By the time the lecturer got back I was standing with my eyes closes talking deep breaths. His response? "You coming in, Gary?"

Why does no one in the world give a fuck?

Let me give you all a piece of advice. If someone is looking distressed, it’s not over nothing. It’s not because the person is drunk or being a drama queen, and odds are that if you ask them what’s wrong there not going to bite your head off or put a gun in their mouth. They will be genuinely touched that you asked and it will probably make a difference in there day. You will also have the knowledge that you helped someone. All because you asked the following question.

“Are you OK?”

It’s not fucking rocket science people

melindaj

Postby melindaj » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:16 am

Dear You,
Got it in one but unless they recognise the death stare none one understands, unless they have personally felt the pain.

Happy Christmas dear Gentleman and your dear Lady

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm

You're absolutely right Melinda. this is why we need to get the info out there to try to change peoples perceptions

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:48 pm

and so we continue

Chapter 5 – Green Giant

So we return to my downward spiral at work

I had booked a week off starting from that Saturday. My plan was to get through that week, and then talk to the work about my depression and see if there was anything they could do to make my life easier. However, it was only Thursday, and getting through another minute with how I felt was a struggle, never mind another 2 days

I decided that enough was enough. I needed to talk to someone. I just moved teams recently and my new boss had just returned from a period of sickness herself. Plus any time I had to ask her a question she didn’t seem to have a clue. I figured that I went to her with this she might keel over and die from the stress.

Fortunately, there was one person I was comfortable going to. My previous boss, unlike most other people in the place had actually given the impression that she cared, and id previous dropped some hints about my issues so she sort of understood already. I went to here and just unloaded. As expected she was sympathetic. She arranged a meeting with the mental health first aider.

Mental health first aider? What in the name of the jolly green giant is a mental health first aider you ask? Allow me to explain.

A mental health first aider is effectively a first point of contact for people who are struggling with mental health. They can take them away from work for a while and talk about their condition and signpost or help arrange other support that might be available. Basically its paracetamol for mental health

Personally I think this is a fucking great idea. All workplaces should have something like this. Imagine having someone you go to if you were struggling mentally. Wouldn’t that make life a lot easier? It would take away the uncertainty and you’d be more likely to speak up. I’d love to do something similar myself

So once again I spilled my guts to this poor bastard. Unfortunately though, if memory serves me correctly, I spent most of my time bitching about how fucking horrible the job was. At that point I thought the job was the cause of all my problems. I hadn’t consciously accepted in my head that there was more to it at this point in time. And this was the first time I had properly said any of this stuff out loud to anybody. I’m not counting Dr Dickhead because she wasn’t interested
It wasn’t until weeks later that I found out that this guy was a team manager. A team manager who presided over my absence hearing a few months later. Great idea to tell a manager how shite his company is eh?

You couldn’t make this stuff up

That day though, if I was pissing him off he gave no sign at all. He listened and asked questions. He even phoned the doctor for me. In short he was a trooper.

I took the rest of the day off to do some serious soul searching. Realising that at this point that I could still have months to wait for therapy and seeing no other options, I made the decision to try medication

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 am

The team leader bit must have been a shock!

Liking this more and more. The only mental health stuff I have read is entirely focussed on self-help techniques. I think it is a great idea to tell the warts and all story of your experiences.

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:28 pm

yeah I know what you mean. most of the books gloss over the pain and misey and jump straight to the cure. id like people to understand the pain and misery and identify with it. maybe learn how to deal with it and help someone through

the team leader thing was indeed a shocker. you should have saw my face when I realised :lol:

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:21 am

Barbara Cartland

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Come again :?

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:35 am

Happy new year mate.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”