Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Guess whos writing a book!!!

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
sirhugo

Guess whos writing a book!!!

Postby sirhugo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi all. Over the last few weeks I've been writing a book. Its based on my own experiences with mental health. How I've felt, the dark thoughts I've had, the support systems, or lack thereof that I've had, and the steps to recovery I've taken

I got the idea from all the posts I've made on the forum since I've been here. I put them all together in one document to show my mental health first aider in work. When I looked at the sheer volume of this stuff, I had the thought that with a bit of work, I could turn this into a book, something I've always wanted to do, but lacked the knowledge of a subject matter for enough material. looks like I've got my subject matter :D

I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who have supported me on here. without your support I wouldn't have had the confidence, the motivation or the material for this little project

Also as a special thanks, if anyone is interested, I could upload sections of the book here for you all to read.

anyone game?

andthistoomustpass

Re: Guess whos writing a book!!!

Postby andthistoomustpass » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Yep! I'll read it.

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I've got to admit, I have thought of doing the same. With the number of my posts here, plus therapy and experiences in various self help groups and a rather wonderful mental health social club, it may stretch to several volumes :lol: .

Given the creativity and willingness to write you have shown, I'm sure you will do a better job than I ever would.

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:57 pm

You could do the mental health version of Dark Tower :lol:

Id give it a go. Something I've discovered is that having a project to focus on is a great way to distract yourself from the dark thoughts and can give you a sense of purpose.

id imagine our respective books would be like steak. Fans of the well cooked, seasoned, deep and witty observations and dry humour would like yours. fans of the fresh, raw, bleeding and spiced with punch you in the face humour will like mine

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Fans of the well cooked, seasoned, deep and witty observations and dry humour would like yours

They'd also have to really love the taste of multiple inuendo's on their tongues. :oops:

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:49 pm

who doesn't love a good innuendo? :D

said the bishop to the actress

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:21 pm

You can put it onto Amazon Kindle and offer for it free to the big wide world

Or sell it

I have no idea of the process
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 pm

alright folks. starting from today im going to upload a chapter from my book each week. Feel free to leave your comments. All of this is 100% true but some of it may be exaggerated for "creative licence" :D

also I have two potential names im mulling over. The first is Change Your Own World. This second is Bob is a cunt (bob is what I call my black dog/depression :lol:) Id like your opinion on both

Chapter 1 - Keepin' it Real

Hi all. My name is Gary and I suffer from a horrible debilitating illness called depression.
Sounds fairly innocuous right? I mean we all get depressed. We all have the occasional miserable thought. We all occasionally feel fat and stupid and useless and worthless. Well imagine feeling that way every second of every day or your life. That is depression

Depression can take over your entire life. There are a range of different symptoms. Here are some of the ones I have suffered myself

Regular feelings of sadness or despair
Feeling worthless

Feeling that everything is utterly pointless

Crippling isolation and feeling completely alone in the world

Very little energy

Lack of sleep

Getting no pleasure from anything

I’m not looking for sympathy here, although that would be nice after years of feeling like an outcast. I’m just telling it like it is. I’m just being real, like all those gansta rapper types would say.

So why this book? Good question really. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I had an urge to do it so I did it. I very rarely get an urge to do anything anymore so I usual follow my urges when they happen. Plus I suppose this might be helpful to someone. Maybe it’ll stop someone feeling so alone or bring someone a crumb of comfort. If even one person feels better due to this, then that is enough for me

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm

I love Bob is a Cunt

No thumb twiddling there nor knocking any sharp edges off etc
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Liking chapter 1. Sets out your stall nicely. Personally, I don't find 'Plus I suppose this might be helpful to someone. Maybe it’ll stop someone feeling so alone or bring someone a crumb of comfort.' very attractive, if I browsed a book and read that it WOULD help me, even as a guide to the experience, I'd definitely read on.

An eye-catching title is half the battle. Bob is a cunt is an amazing idea!

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:11 pm

looks like Bob is a cunt is the clear favourite here. not sure how marketable it is though :lol:

attmp yeah I think your right, I should blow my own trumpet more

Return to “Mutual Support Group”