Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Telephone counselling

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
emloja

Telephone counselling

Postby emloja » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi
I am curious if anyone has tried counselling over the phone? There are some qualified counsellors who do either Skype or phone call counselling sessions. I am wondering if i should try. I tried counselling a few years back and despite a good relationship with the therapist i really struggled with the anxiety of going every week and also found myself giving no eye contact and feeling embarrassed most of the time- i knew i wasn't being judged but couldn't help to think i was.
I thought that over the phone i might feel less embarrassed and be able to talk more easily- what do you think- anyone else tried it?
Thanks
Emma

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: Telephone counselling

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I think the concept makes sense

As do online therapy courses where you do the work but are also working with a counselor at times and they keep an eye on you
Very cost effective

No hassle and time and cost traveling etc
A bigger choice

The downside is a chance for shamateurs etc

And then you have to decide what type of therapist/therapy you need - there are lots of theories out there

I have become impressed - due to listening to lots of podcasts but this system - look up "Feeling Good"
Which is about a system called - T.E.A.M CBT

Very results focussed and in short time scales
The attitude to me is spot on
I think he says "Tools Not Therapy" - by which he means CBT tools

They are fascinating listening - just on their own - and the guy is very very well regarded

And there is a good library of them - so choose some that interest you and give them a listen

So if you fancy doing my homework for me and finding an online person to do this with me then I would be interested

What are your thoughts on the subject as opposed to a specific type of therapy
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm

You have made a lot of posts but I cannnot remember everyone on here

So what are your general problems - in a nut shell
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Emma, don't think I've said hello to you before :D

It is easier on the phone- I had a short block of calls while I was trying to sort out face to face support, and it felt like 'real' counselling. I had less anxiety ahead of it and while talking, because they can't see you so I wasn't needing to be conscious of body language etc. It'll still be uncomfortable if you're talking about things that are hard for you, I'm sure. But you can doodle while on the phone if that helps.

But I tried face to face a few years ago and didn't find I was in the right frame of mind for it then, and this time I'm sticking with it, so you might find something has changed for you at some point and that you can get more out of it next time. I've found it helpful to talk about the anxiety about sessions with the person I'm seeing- did you do this? I'm sure it's really common, as no-one goes to counselling because they're feeling great and want to share that!

Maisi

emloja

Postby emloja » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks Upwards and Maisi,and Hello!
I have done online CBT courses with Silvercloud and have a supporter every two weeks who reads my emails and gives me feedback. This is okay and has helped. I just have something i have finally decided i need to explore as i think it is becoming a barrier to my full recovery-keeps sneaking back in- so i need to explore and do something different or explore and accept! So although i haven't been a fan of counselling and have much preferred CBT type practical approaches which focus on the now and future. I think it might be something i need!?!?!?!?
I will look up those podcasts- i do agree that it is good to develop tools and i think that over the years we all do this depending on what approaches we encounter and what works for us.
Great to hear about your positive experiences Masi and that it still felt real. I was so aware of my body language and especially 'eye contact' during counselling- i really was talking about myself and difficulties to someone- so hopefully the phone will make this easier- plus i can be comfortable at home and cuddling my dog!!
Where did you source your counsellor- I'm currently looking at anxiety uk as if you are a member it can be cheaper and also they vet the counsellors first.
Many thanks,
Emma

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am

Maybe start a new thread and start to explore what you think you want to here

Nice and anonymous etc

And it might help you realise that you do need to take it further forwards etc

so sad

Postby so sad » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am

Hi

I did quite a few online sessions and some over the phone. I was dreading the online ones because I didn't want to be seen but after I'd worked out how to minimise the image of myself on the screen I actually stopped thinking about it.
I found it very useful - no travelling, no getting dressed appropriately etc.
It can be difficult to find a good one but that applies when its face to face too. Plus it opens up your options as you're not tied to someone local.
Hope you get sorted soon
x

emloja

Postby emloja » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks so sad. Don't think i would do online- i would have to minimise myself to the size of a postage stamps to feel comfortable with that! :) I tried to fill in an online application and then for some reason it keeps refusing to upload- maybe it is a sign!!

Return to “Mutual Support Group”