Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Feeling at sea

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
sammy

Feeling at sea

Postby sammy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi,

Recently went back to uni and it was going well for the first two weeks, but now its sort of dipped back down. Doing well in work paradoxically but my mood has gone back down to its lowest point and I feel really out of control of everything. Everything is slipping and I don't have the energy to pick it back up again.

Just feel really lost and out of control and I kinda just want to hibernate but I can't.

Any advice on how to pick myself back up and start again would be amazing.

pagan237

Re: Feeling at sea

Postby pagan237 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey Sammy

Have you looked into what kind of support the uni offers for mental health? Make sure to surround yourself with as many friends as you can, as well as family if any are nearby. You're doing a good job by staying on top of your workload because it keeps you in control and letting yourself fall behind in that will only make you feel worse. In saying that, remember that your life doesn't need to focus just on university. Take some time for yourself each day if you can to remind yourself how important you are in some way. Hope this helps

cookiemonster

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 am

I agree see what the university provides for support. Maybe seek a local support group. Keep self busy and around people. Exercise can be helpful

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:37 am

Hi sammy,

Universities will have some kind of mental health support system in place, although some places may have a cap on how much you can use it because of high demand. Ask a mentor (or similar) to direct you to the team, and talk to them - they are there to help you :)

Much love <3
RSxo <3

maisi

Postby maisi » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi Sammy,

That's a lot of changes to be handling in a short space of time. I hope you have a way of stepping back sometimes, and thinking about what would be helpful. I agree with the previous suggestions- student support services could be really helpful, and they will have supported students with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, dyslexia, physical disabilities- they should be well geared up for what you're going through and would want to make sure that students are ok, without judgement. I also agree that uni is only one part of your current life, you can have space from that in other ways. But bloody well done for doing well with your work too! That says a lot about your strengths.

Maisi x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”